Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Alison Heimoz <ah...@day.com> on 2010/03/03 09:33:46 UTC

Sling Documentation

Hello,

This is my first posting to this mailing list, so I guess a short
introduction might be in order.

I work for Day as technical writer. Although I have done both development
and system administration in past jobs, my knowledge of java and web
technologies need extending.

So I'm keen to learn - and for that reason am currently working through (on
a part-time basis) the introductions to Sling as documented on the website.

I've been asked to contact this mailing list - at the moment I'm just
starting off gently by reporting issues I've had with some of the links.
Please let me know if any of these are caused by issues with my
configuration (Mac / FF):

   - http://sling.apache.org/site/downloads.html
      - Mirrors
         - shows preferred; but the reload link "clicking here" fails with a
         403 Forbidden
         - trying to change the mirror gives me a 404 Not Found
         - Sling Application
         - None of the package links work - all give me a 404 Not Found
         (probably linked to the mirror problem?)
         - http://sling.apache.org/site/getting-and-building-sling.html
      - Prerequisites
         - "Installed Eclipse Ganymede (tested with 3.4.2 on Win XP, SP3)"
         I have already spoken to Felix about this, but as a newbie when I
         see this:
            - I wonder, does it have to be Ganymede which was the 2008
            version, or could I go with the 2009 version Galileo?
            (Have had the go-ahead for Galileo from Felix).
            - I'd appreciate confirmation of which package I actually need
            (I agree that I might not be representative of the
prospective audience, and
            looking at the "compare packages" there doesn't seem to be
that much choice,
            but if possible a guideline might help).
         - "Installed M2Eclipse plugin for Eclipse (sonatype) ->
         instructions<http://m2eclipse.codehaus.org/Installing_Maven_2.0_plugin_for_Eclipse.html>
         "
         The instructions link points to
         http://m2eclipse.codehaus.org/Installing_Maven_2.0_plugin_for_Eclipse.htmlwhich
gives a 404 Not Found.
         I assume this should point to
         http://m2eclipse.sonatype.org/installing-m2eclipse.html

That's it for the moment.....am off to retry with Galileo. Just let me know
if feedback would be preferred in a different location / format.

Cheers Alison

Re: Sling Documentation

Posted by Alison Heimoz <ah...@day.com>.
Hello,

And thanks for the feedback :-)

I did read that Eclipse isn't compulsory, but I'm working with 2
objectives.....getting to know Sling and testing the documentation - which
involves chugging through all of it.

Though admittedly I might change the order of attack....or at least start a
pincer movement.....

Cheers Alison

Re: Sling Documentation

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Alison,

RE: Sling Documentation

Posted by Mike Müller <mi...@mysign.ch>.
Hi Alison

> http://sling.apache.org/site/getting-and-building-sling.html
>       - Prerequisites
>          - "Installed Eclipse Ganymede (tested with 3.4.2 on
> Win XP, SP3)"
>          I have already spoken to Felix about this, but as a
> newbie when I
>          see this:
>             - I wonder, does it have to be Ganymede which was the 2008
>             version, or could I go with the 2009 version Galileo?
>             (Have had the go-ahead for Galileo from Felix).
>             - I'd appreciate confirmation of which package I
> actually need
>             (I agree that I might not be representative of the
> prospective audience, and
>             looking at the "compare packages" there doesn't seem to be
> that much choice,
>             but if possible a guideline might help).

I updated the documentation that Eclipse 3.5.x will be fine as well and which packages are needed.

>          - "Installed M2Eclipse plugin for Eclipse (sonatype) ->
>
> instructions<http://m2eclipse.codehaus.org/Installing_Maven_2.
> 0_plugin_for_Eclipse.html>
>          "
>          The instructions link points to
>
> http://m2eclipse.codehaus.org/Installing_Maven_2.0_plugin_for_
>Eclipse.htmlwhich
>gives a 404 Not Found.
>         I assume this should point to
>         http://m2eclipse.sonatype.org/installing-m2eclipse.html

Thank you for the hint, changed the link.

In addition I would recommend te "Alternative setup in Eclipse without M2Eclipse plugin". IMHO it's much faster and suited me best.

best regards
Mike