Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Mikael Olenfalk <mi...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/05 21:45:40 UTC

Which one to use Cocoon 2.1 or 2.2?

Hi Everybody!

I want to use cocoon to create a webdav enabled webapp with a plugin
architecture and I just want to know which version to use. Should I go
for 2.1 or for 2.2? 2.2 seems like a more natural choice because it
contains OSGi support (so I have read), but maybe it isn't really
usable yet.

This project of is just going to be a proof-of-concept so I don't need
the stability of an officially released version. I have been reading
the Users and Dev archives now for a couple of weeks and it really
looks like 2.2 is going to be a huge step forward and it would be sad
to miss all the new and shiny features :)

What do you propose and/or what do you all use for your personal
cocoon projects?

With kind regards,

Mikael Olenfalk

Re: Which one to use Cocoon 2.1 or 2.2?

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com>.
Mikael Olenfalk napisaƂ(a):
> Hi Everybody!
>
> I want to use cocoon to create a webdav enabled webapp with a plugin
> architecture and I just want to know which version to use. Should I go
> for 2.1 or for 2.2? 2.2 seems like a more natural choice because it
> contains OSGi support (so I have read), but maybe it isn't really
> usable yet.
>
> This project of is just going to be a proof-of-concept so I don't need
> the stability of an officially released version. I have been reading
> the Users and Dev archives now for a couple of weeks and it really
> looks like 2.2 is going to be a huge step forward and it would be sad
> to miss all the new and shiny features :)
>
> What do you propose and/or what do you all use for your personal
> cocoon projects?
First of all, I'm not Cocoon developer so do not treat my statements as
official ones. Almost all the activity and effort goes to 2.2 now and it
seems that 2.1 will go into maintenance mode only pretty soon.
If you are not scared that things can change in one day and want to be
on bleeding edge go for 2.2. I think 2.2 have matured to be usable now
and the documentation (main ill of 2.1) constantly improves. Speaking
for myself, I plan to write tutorial on how to use powerful combo of
Cocoon Templates + Forms + Flowscript. To do this I have to resolve
annoying issue of Maven [1], though.

As you've seen on the webdav block example some work needs to be done
(especially with less frequently used blocks) in order to make something
working with C2.2. However, the payoff should exceed greatly the effort.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-1975

--
Best regards
Grzegorz Kossakowski

Re: Which one to use Cocoon 2.1 or 2.2?

Posted by Mikael Olenfalk <mi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks everybody for your opinions.

I think I am going to use 2.2 for my Proof-Of-Concept.

Cocoon is really, really amazing; the more I read the greater it is
perceived, now it just up to grasp all the different concepts and
technologies.

Thanks again!

Mikael

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
My 2 cents for what its worth.

First, there has been no "official" 2.2 release. The milestone releases
have been done so that everyone could try it out and report back
problems.  Although I've heard other committers are using 2.2 in
production, I wouldn't recommend doing so as there are some items that
are continuing to be improved.  However, I'd say we are pretty close to
finally having a formal release.

Second, the OSGi support was removed because the core of Cocoon is now
based upon Spring.  Spring has created an OSGi subproject which we
believe will be able to be leveraged when it is complete.

For the purpose of a proof-of-concept I would think that using 2.2 would
be the way to go.

Ralph

Posted by Jason Johnston <co...@lojjic.net>.