Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> on 2001/10/24 23:41:04 UTC

[OT] Microsoft Sets Tolls for .Net Developers

Why am I not surprised?

The funny thing is that even in this down economy and with all the free
(better?) alternatives that are out there, people will actually still pay
for this stuff!

We should put a paypal link on the Jakarta homepage and donate the money to
AIDS research or some other worthy cause.

-jon

Posted by Jonathan Reichhold <jd...@gte.net>.
The assertion that this isn't a toll on development is not correct.  If you develop software you need to test it against production
boxes for compatibility.  As soon as you want to test a program you need to pay Microsoft.  Sure the development kit is free, but as
soon as I want to test out some nifty functionality (and test for bugs) I have to pay $1000/year and $250 per application.  MS could
easily set up development versions of the servers and give developers free access to test against them.  I really don't feel I
should pay for testing against an automated system unless I'm putting a severe burden on that system (say a load test or calling for
support).

If you actually read the article it doesn't state that the fee is for production code to use the servers.  It is reasonable to
charge for accessing servers in production environments, but charging developers for things they may never release publicly is a tax
on development.

How many "nifty" open source projects will never happen if .NET succeeds?  Which open source project has this kind of money to spend
for Microsoft programs?

Jonathan

Posted by Avi Cherry <al...@insomniaque.net>.

Posted by Matt Egyhazy <mw...@virginia.edu>.
unfortunately, there is an entire class of developer that can only build
software using microsoft tools.

microsoft has moved into .edu territory and is giving away their tools for
free.  the kids are becoming attached to them.

matt

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Agreed. I've also been suprised by the recent rise in FUD thats coming our
way...

http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-10-2001/jw-1019-iw-netvsjava.html?

A nice MS marketting strategy seems to be comparing .Net to EJBs rather than
to Java (or Servlets or JAXM or whatnot). Hardly a fair or useful
comparison. .Net still seems to use COM under the covers anyways so COM v
EJB or .NET v. Java seems more sensible but then I suppose thats the point
of FUD afterall.

James

Posted by "Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@openprivacy.org>.

Re: [OT] Microsoft Sets Tolls for .Net Developers

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Jon Stevens at jon@latchkey.com wrote:

> We should put a paypal link on the Jakarta homepage and donate the money to
> AIDS research or some other worthy cause.

That would be a good idea...

    Pier