Posted to dev@click.apache.org by "Dennis M. J. Yerger" <de...@hotmail.com> on 2013/01/06 07:49:56 UTC

FW: Convention over Configuration

Happy new year, everyone!

A popular principle guiding many frameworks today is convention over configuration. This means using naming patterns instead of writing XML files to automatically connect the pieces of your application. Some popular frameworks follow this principle. Grails, Tapestry 5, Wicket, and Struts 2 (with the help of the Convention plugin) are just three examples. Even Click supports this principle to a limited degree (page names are automatically mapped to class names). However it still relies on the click.xml file to make most other settings. I think Click can benefit from using more conventions in its design so that the click.xml file becomes optional or unnecessary altogether. Click is, in my opinion, an easy-to-use framework. Convention over configuration would make it even easier. What do you think?