Posted to dev@solr.apache.org by "Arrieta, Alejandro" <aa...@perrinsoftware.com> on 2023/03/08 14:22:55 UTC

Solr documentation questions

Hello Team,

I want to help with Solr documentation and  I have some newbie questions:

-Changes in documentation in Solr git repo, do they  need a doc bug ticket
filled?
-If making more than one change to documentation, do you need one PR for
all of them or each change on a separate PR. If a doc bug ticket is needed
one per PR?
-Are there other test(s) to run apart from compiling, seeing that
documentation finished correctly and checking your change display correctly
in your local copy?
-For proposed changes in the Solr wiki, how is this handled? Does anyone
check the changes before publishing them? How do I get edit permits?

I see the Solr git repo has these branches:
main -> generates Solr 10 ( not yet released ) documentation
branch_9x -> generates Solr 9.2 (not yet released) documentation
If I want to make a change in documentation, where is the correct branch to
do it? main (Solr 10), branch_9x (Solr 9.2), both?

Kind Regards,
Alejandro Arrieta Rios

Re: Solr documentation questions

Posted by Houston Putman <ho...@apache.org>.
Hey Alejandro!

It would be great to get some help with the docs!!

Are there other test(s) to run apart from compiling, seeing that
> documentation finished correctly and checking your change display correctly
> in your local copy?

The following command will build a local site for you to look around. (and
fail on any antora compilation issues)

gradle buildLocalSite

The following command will ensure that all links in the ref-guide are
valid, both inter-ref-guide links and links to the javaDocs and lucene
javaDocs.

gradle checkSiteLinks

As Kevin said, "gradlew check -x test" will run "buildLocalSite" and
"checkSiteLinks" for you.

- Houston

Posted by Kevin Risden <kr...@apache.org>.