Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com> on 2004/10/01 14:36:05 UTC

Re: svn commit: r10868 - trunk/build/ac-macros

Ben Reser wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 01:14:20PM -0400, Greg Hudson wrote:
>>On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 20:49, breser@tigris.org wrote:
>>
>>>+    if [ test -f "$where" ]; then
>>>+    if [ test ! -f "$SWIG" ] || [ test ! -x "$SWIG" ]; then
[...]
>>Also, the second statement is weird, firstly because it uses two test
>>processes instead of -o,
[...]
>> and secondly because the second test seems to
>>subsume the first one (that is, just 'test ! -x "$SWIG"' would seem to
>>do the job).
>
> Look again.  The first test is to see if the $where is a file, the
> second test is to see if $SWIG is a file.

Greg was talking about the second and first tests within the second line: "($SWIG is not a file) or ($SWIG is not an executable file)" can be simplified to "$SWIG is not an executable file".  Note that "test -x" does have that particular meaning; it won't match a directory.

- Julian

Re: svn commit: r10868 - trunk/build/ac-macros

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
Ben Reser wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 03:36:05PM +0100, Julian Foad wrote:
>
>>Greg was talking about the second and first tests within the second line:
>>"($SWIG is not a file) or ($SWIG is not an executable file)" can be
>>simplified to "$SWIG is not an executable file".  Note that "test -x" does
>>have that particular meaning; it won't match a directory.
>
> Actually it will.  Go try it.  Greg and I talked abou this on IRC and he
> realized that what I did was right.
>
> $ mkdir dir
> $ [ -x dir ] && echo foo
> foo

Oh.  My apologies.

- Julian

Re: svn commit: r10868 - trunk/build/ac-macros

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.

--
Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>
http://ben.reser.org

"Conscience is the inner voice which warns us somebody may be looking."
- H.L. Mencken