Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Dan Kamins <db...@hotmail.com> on 2002/09/30 02:26:22 UTC

TCPMon Audio Feedback Mod ("RPC-Synth") RFC

Fellow Axis users,

I've made a mod to "tcpmon" (the standalone TCP monitor application included
with Axis that lets you debug your SOAP traffic).

What you get now is a new tab (right after "Admin") called "RPC Synth".  In
this tab (see attached screenshot), you can map RPC Calls to MIDI notes.
This lets you *audibly* debug your SOAP traffic and get a sense for what's
going on without staring at a log file, and even while doing other work.

I've found this very useful myself so far.  I'm writing this note to see
what kind of interest people have in this.  Particularly if people feel that
this is worth merging into the mainline (or if there is any opposition to
that).  I've written it such that TCPMon is still standalone, still backward
compatible, and all RPC Synth mods are *off* by default (unless you specify
"--synth" on command line).  All mappings can be specified on the command
line as well, and when you change mappings in the UI, it logs what the
uequivalent command line would be.

This mod takes advantage of the Java Sound MIDI API (javax.sound.midi.*),
which is standard in JDK 1.3 and above (and available as JMF with earlier
JDKs).
AFAIK most platforms (definitely win32) support a default MIDI setup and
have 16 instruments mapped, including #10 which has dozens of cool
percussion noises.

Comments are appreciated!  Let me know what you think, if you'd like to try
it out, etc.

--
Dan Kamins
dankamins@NOSPAMyahoo.com

Re: TCPMon Audio Feedback Mod ("RPC-Synth") RFC

Posted by Koichi INOUE <ki...@src.ricoh.co.jp>.
Hello,

  I'm working on a WEB service works under Axis.
I'm a blind engineer so audio feedback is sometimes very useful for me
to catch events from data stream.
It seems interesting. How can I try it?

"Dan Kamins" <db...@hotmail.com> writes:

> Fellow Axis users,
>
> I've made a mod to "tcpmon" (the standalone TCP monitor application included
> with Axis that lets you debug your SOAP traffic).
>
> What you get now is a new tab (right after "Admin") called "RPC Synth".  In
> this tab (see attached screenshot), you can map RPC Calls to MIDI notes.
> This lets you *audibly* debug your SOAP traffic and get a sense for what's
> going on without staring at a log file, and even while doing other work.
>
> I've found this very useful myself so far.  I'm writing this note to see
> what kind of interest people have in this.  Particularly if people feel that
> this is worth merging into the mainline (or if there is any opposition to
> that).  I've written it such that TCPMon is still standalone, still backward
> compatible, and all RPC Synth mods are *off* by default (unless you specify
> "--synth" on command line).  All mappings can be specified on the command
> line as well, and when you change mappings in the UI, it logs what the
> uequivalent command line would be.
>
> This mod takes advantage of the Java Sound MIDI API (javax.sound.midi.*),
> which is standard in JDK 1.3 and above (and available as JMF with earlier
> JDKs).
> AFAIK most platforms (definitely win32) support a default MIDI setup and
> have 16 instruments mapped, including #10 which has dozens of cool
> percussion noises.
>
> Comments are appreciated!  Let me know what you think, if you'd like to try
> it out, etc.
>
> --
> Dan Kamins
> dankamins@NOSPAMyahoo.com

                   Koichi Inoue
                   Software Research Center, Ricoh Co. Ltd.
                   e-mail: kinoue@src.ricoh.co.jp

Re: TCPMon Audio Feedback Mod ("RPC-Synth") RFC

Posted by Koichi INOUE <ki...@src.ricoh.co.jp>.
Hello,

Posted by Nelson Minar <ne...@monkey.org>.
Audio debugging! Did you try just putting an old AM radio on top of
your IMP first? :-)

I use TCPMon all the time for all sorts of things. I think there's a
strong case to be made to spin TCPMon out of Axis entirely, grow it
into a general HTTP tool. Maybe there already is a product like this?

I'd argue for keeping the Axis version simple.

                                                     nelson@monkey.org
.       .      .     .    .   .  . . http://www.media.mit.edu/~nelson/