Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Carrie Ward <cw...@agentrics.com> on 2006/04/04 20:34:52 UTC

Foreign Characters in TXT output (FOP 0.20.5)

I'm rendering output in both PDF and TXT using XML+XSLs.  I am able to successfully display foreign characters (embedded) in the PDF but when I attempt to do so with the TXT output  the foreign characters display as boxes.

Foriegn characters can be found in both my XSL (as labels) as UNICODE values (e.g., è = &#232;) as well as in my XML's values.   How can I make the TXT output support the foreign characters?

Carrie Ward

Agentrics, LLC (formerly GNX & WWRE)

Office: 703.234.5139

Mobile: 703.867.1523

Email: cward@agentrics.com

Re: Foreign Characters in TXT output (FOP 0.20.5)

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> This is a little surprising. Both FOP 0.20.5 and 0.91beta produce UTF-8
> encoded text files by default which map these foreign characters well.

FOP 0.20.5 uses by default the default platform encoding as
specified by the JDK.

J.Pietschmann

Re: Foreign Characters in TXT output (FOP 0.20.5)

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
This is a little surprising. Both FOP 0.20.5 and 0.91beta produce UTF-8
encoded text files by default which map these foreign characters well.
Could you post a small FO file (not a stylesheet) that demonstrates the
effect you see?

On 04.04.2006 20:34:52 Carrie Ward wrote:
> I'm rendering output in both PDF and TXT using XML+XSLs.  I am able to successfully
> display foreign characters (embedded) in the PDF but when I
> attempt to do so with the TXT output  the foreign characters display as
> boxes.
>
> Foriegn characters can be found in both my XSL (as labels) as UNICODE
> values (e.g., è = &#232;) as well as in my XML's values.   How can I
> make the TXT output support the foreign characters?

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Foreign Characters in TXT output (FOP 0.20.5)

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Carrie Ward wrote:
> I'm rendering output in both PDF and TXT using XML+XSLs.  I am able
> to successfully display foreign characters (embedded) in the PDF but
> when I attempt to do so with the TXT output  the foreign characters
> display as boxes.
>
> Foriegn characters can be found in both my XSL (as labels) as UNICODE
> values (e.g., è = &#232;) as well as in my XML's values.   How can I
> make the TXT output support the foreign characters?

You can set the character encoding for the text output using the
txt.encoding switch, see
  http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.20.5/running.html#standalone-start
You can use the default encoding of the tools you use to display the
output, or tell these tools the encoding you specified, otherwise you'll
still get unexpected results.

J.Pietschmann