Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by captain_rhino <gr...@axa-travel-insurance.com> on 2012/10/02 10:56:10 UTC

Base page action with null session object

I don't expect the full asnwer just some general pointers to help me
investigate...

I have a simple base action that extends the majority of my page actions.
Intermittently userWorkspace is null after only a few minutes of activity
for users (session timeout set to 30 mins).  Can anyone suggest a reason
why.  It only happens in our production environment (https).

public class SimpleBasePage {

		@SessionState
        private UserWorkspace userWorkspace;
        private boolean userWorkspaceExists;

        Object onActivate() {

            if (!isUserWorkspaceExists()) {
				//handle timeout
			}
		}
}

Re: Base page action with null session object

Posted by captain_rhino <gr...@axa-travel-insurance.com>.
Thanks for the hints and tips

Turns out we had the proxy balancers in the wrong order in httpd.conf which
was causing new sessions to be created based on the path that was being used
for ther request.

Re: Base page action with null session object

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>.
FYI, I suspect that the session id is not being proxied (either via a cookie
or via the URL) which causes a user to start a new session rather than
re-using their existing session.

Re: Base page action with null session object

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>.
Try hitting the servlet container (tomcat/jetty) direct instead of going
through the apache proxy. Do you still see the issue?

If the issue doesn't occur when hitting direct, you've isolated the problem
as an apache proxying issue. It's now time to start inspecting the HTTP
traffic in both cases. Keep an eye out for request / response headers that
are not being proxied through apache.

It sounds like this issue might be off topic for this list and a more
general apache config issue.

Re: Base page action with null session object

Posted by captain_rhino <gr...@axa-travel-insurance.com>.
Is your prod environment a cluster?
yes

If yes, have you enabled sticky sessions?
yes

Is your servlet container behind an apache proxy?
yes

Any suspect rules we should be aware of?
don't think so

Re: Base page action with null session object

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>.
Is your prod environment a cluster? If yes, have you enabled sticky sessions?
Is your servlet container behind an apache proxy? Any suspect rules we
should be aware of?