Posted to log4net-dev@logging.apache.org by rodchar <ro...@hotmail.com> on 2009/02/18 16:40:33 UTC

multi-tier app and log4net

hey all,
i have a web app that is multi-tiered (ui,bll,dal). is there a way to
intantiate once and use thru out my tiers? if so, what's the best way to get
the logger down into the business and data layers?

thanks,
rodchar

RE: multi-tier app and log4net

Posted by "Walden H. Leverich" <Wa...@TechSoftInc.com>.
> is there a way to intantiate once and use thru out my tiers?

The logger is initialized once per app-domain, so as long as you do it
at the start of the app you're good. And what's the start of the app for
a web site? Global.asax. Here's what we do:

In Global.asax:

//Log4Net logger, can be initialized like normal since we need to
configure log4net first. That's done below.
static log4net.ILog log;

protected void Application_Start(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
	#region Bootstrap log4net
	string configFile = Server.MapPath("~/log4net.config");
	log4net.Config.XmlConfigurator.ConfigureAndWatch(new
System.IO.FileInfo(configFile));

	log = log4net.LogManager.GetLogger(

System.Reflection.MethodBase.GetCurrentMethod().DeclaringType
		);

	log.Info("----------------------");
	log.Info("Application Starting... Good morning.");
	log.InfoFormat("Watching '{0}'", configFile);
	log.Info("Application Active.");
	log.Info("--");
	#endregion
}
protected void Application_End(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
	log.Info("Application Ending... Goodnight.");
}

And is a normal file, either an aspx.cs, or a file just in a data-layer
DLL we simply do:

#region Log4Net
static readonly log4net.ILog log
   =log4net.LogManager.GetLogger(
      System.Reflection.MethodBase.GetCurrentMethod().DeclaringType
    );
#endregion

And it all works fine.

-Walden

--
Walden H Leverich III
Tech Software

Have you tried to configure log4net once at the highest level when the
application starts?

Posted by Ron Grabowski <ro...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by rodchar <ro...@hotmail.com>.
thanks for the help,