Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by "Andrew Pham (BLOOMBERG/ 731 LEX)" <ap...@bloomberg.net> on 2017/09/14 22:24:04 UTC

Java Examples Writing Flatbuffer in IPC Message

The receiver/reader would be a C++ process.

I'm looking for simple examples that illustrate this IPC.  Can anyone point me to any?  Thanks!

Re: Java Examples Writing Flatbuffer in IPC Message

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.
hi Andrew,

Are you talking about writing a stream to shared memory? There are not
functions in the Arrow Java library to do this out of the box. This
would be a great contribution to make to the project:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARROW-721

If you create an OutputStream that writes to shared memory, you can
use the existing stream serialization tools. In C++ the functions to
read a stream or read a single record batch are contained in
https://github.com/apache/arrow/blob/master/cpp/src/arrow/ipc/reader.h.

In C++ you can use the Plasma store for writing to POSIX shared
memory. I would like to see some generic named POSIX shared memory
tools get developed that are independent of Plasma, though:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARROW-1385

Thanks
Wes