Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by ap...@thva.dk on 2015/12/16 20:39:38 UTC

[users@httpd] slow reload apache22

hello world,

so i run Apache/2.2.31 on FreeBSD9. 64 bit. Hosting about 400 websites
on this virtual server that executes well enough - except, whenever i
make configuration changes and gracefully reload the httpd, the service
kind of stalls for about 10-20 seconds. The server acts as reverse proxy
onto the backend servers, that might just as well be httpd in many
cases, however when these reloads the same way, content is instantly
available, but on the proxy content becomes dramatically slow responding
right after "apachectl graceful" was executed, then after <20 seconds
its fast responding again.

I run no custom cache solution on top of apache, only customsized SSL
cache, but i cant see if this should interfere with plain http requests
performance.

I would like to be able to serve the users with fast respondstimes
eventhough i have to reload the config several times during the day.

The websites are located in about 50 config files, with about 400
VirtualHosts inside. I only serve some small icons as content directly
on the proxy, all the rest is either text errorpages in config or strict
reverse proxy.

Does anyone else have this poor experience ? -or even better a tip for a
solution to get this solved ?

br
Congo, Denmark