Posted to user@spark.apache.org by edmond_huo <hu...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/17 07:03:14 UTC

The difference between pyspark.rdd.PipelinedRDD and pyspark.rdd.RDD

Hi,

I am a freshman about spark. I tried to run a job like wordcount example in
python. But when I tried to get the top 10 popular words in the file, I got
the message:AttributeError: 'PipelinedRDD' object has no attribute
'sortByKey'.

So my question is what is the difference between PipelinedRDD and RDD? and
if I want to sort the data in PipelinedRDD, how can I do it?

Thanks

Re: The difference between pyspark.rdd.PipelinedRDD and pyspark.rdd.RDD

Posted by edmond_huo <hu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Davis,

Thank you for you answer. This is my code. I think it is very similar with
word count example in spark

  lines = sc.textFile(sys.argv[2])
  sie = lines.map(lambda l: (l.strip().split(',')[4],1)).reduceByKey(lambda
a, b: a + b)
  sort_sie = sie.sortByKey(False)

Thanks again.

Re: The difference between pyspark.rdd.PipelinedRDD and pyspark.rdd.RDD

Posted by Davies Liu <da...@databricks.com>.
On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 7:37 AM, edmond_huo <hu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Davis,
>
> When I run your code in pyspark, I still get the same error:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> AttributeError: 'PipelinedRDD' object has no attribute 'sortByKey'
>
> Is it the matter with spark version? I am using spark-0.7.3.

This is the problem, this version is so old, could you upgrade to 1.1?

There are bunch of improvements out of the box, it will save your life :-)

Davies

Posted by Davies Liu <da...@databricks.com>.
PipelinedRDD is an RDD generated by Python mapper/reducer, such as
rdd.map(func) will be PipelinedRDD.

PipelinedRDD is an subclass of RDD, so it should have all the APIs which
RDD has.

>>> sc.parallelize(range(10)).map(lambda x: (x, str(x))).sortByKey().count()
10

I'm wondering that how can you trigger this error?

Davies