Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Nicolas De Loof <ni...@capgemini.com> on 2004/07/09 16:58:07 UTC

Why not create all actions att startup ?

On default RequestProcessor implementation, actions are created at runtime when the associated path is requested.

I remembre some thread on this list about performance issues about this caused by necessary synchronized block on
actions map. AFAIK this implementation has been choosed to ensure quick application startup.

For applications I write, time to create some dozens classes is not critical, but I can understand it may be for some
Struts users. But IMHO a bad side effect is that bad struts-config configuration will not be discovered until first
attempt tu use the misconfigured URI. If loaded on startup, Struts-config may have been 'validated' against action
classes.

Do you thing such a RequestProcessor may be an usefull contrib ?

As struts-chain is the next-struts-release backbone, are they're plans to have an AbstractSelectAction implementation
that will create all action classes at startup ?
Do you thing it may be an usefull contrib (contrib to a struts contrib project !) ?

Nico.

Our name has changed.  Please update your address book to the following format: "recipient@capgemini.com".