Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Kat Ludwig <ka...@smiledirectclub.com> on 2023/03/01 20:16:39 UTC

Guacamole Mariadb to postgres conversion

Greetings,
We have implemented an Azure Mariadb database for our guacamole prod install.  However, Azure doesn't support any current versions of Mariadb, so I wanted to change over to Postgres preferably or to Mysql.  Do you know of any ways we can convert the mariadb to either postgresql or mysql?  I have tried some common import/export methods but they error out on various columns.  I believe the hashing is causing an issue.

Thanks in advance,
Kat Ludwig, DBA

Kat Ludwig
Database Administrator
SmileDirectClub
SmileDirectClub<https://smiledirectclub.com/>
[cid:SocialLink_Facebook_32x32_19d19c6c-6142-4e37-9a30-e9aadbcb306f.png]<https://www.facebook.com/smiledirectclub/> [cid:SocialLink_Linkedin_32x32_6a83e400-3b1e-4f83-91c3-5c6a0c9ee01b.png] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/smile_direct_club/>  [cid:new_592e9ee0-931b-4755-b1e1-67d62e44cd5d.png] <https://www.instagram.com/smiledirectclub/>  [cid:youtube_social_icon_red_46ff805d-2475-4d41-9a86-bdeee1e3e194.png] <https://www.youtube.com/c/smiledirectclub>  [cid:32x28px@2x_d7b56371-5651-4596-a4ff-f4ef6ac3f2da.png] <https://www.comparably.com/companies/smiledirectclub>

Named a Comparably Best Company for Career Growth 2021 + 2022

DISCLAIMER: This message is being sent by SmileDirectClub. The information transmitted by this email, including any attachments, is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed. This email may contain proprietary, business-confidential and/or privileged material, and/or protected by state and federal law, including but not limited to HIPAA. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, be aware that any use, review, retransmission, distribution, reproduction or any action taken in reliance upon this message is strictly prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete all electronic and paper copies of this message and any attachments.

Re: Guacamole Mariadb to postgres conversion

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Mar 1, 2023 at 3:17 PM Kat Ludwig <ka...@smiledirectclub.com>
wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> We have implemented an Azure Mariadb database for our guacamole prod
> install.  However, Azure doesn’t support any current versions of Mariadb,
> so I wanted to change over to Postgres preferably or to Mysql.  Do you know
> of any ways we can convert the mariadb to either postgresql or mysql?  I
> have tried some common import/export methods but they error out on various
> columns.  I believe the hashing is causing an issue.

I don't know of any automated way to do this. You can use an ETL tool to
copy the data over, but the password hashing is likely going to be tricky,
as the hash functions and storage methods are slightly different between
the databases. I'm not sure how many users you have, but it might make
sense to migrate everything except the passwords for the users and just
reset those and then expire them.

-Nick