Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Steven Stern <su...@sterndata.com> on 2007/01/31 01:47:37 UTC

How do I whitelist this?

Re: How do I whitelist this?

Posted by Doc Schneider <ma...@maddoc.net>.
Steven Stern wrote:

> I'm having problems whitelisting mail sent through web sites with a from
> address supplied by the user.
>
> Case in point, I send an article from huffingtonpost.com to myself.  I
> used a "whitelist from huffingtonpost.com", but that doesn't reduce the
> spam score.

Should be whitelist_from_rcvd *@*huffingtonpost.com huffingtonpost.com

Since the From in your example was @gmail.com

Make sure to restart SpamAssassin after changing any .cf files.

--

  -Doc

  SA/SARE/URIBL/SURBL -- Ninja
    6:56pm  up 17 days,  3:54, 15 users,  load average: 3.35, 4.07, 3.24

  SARE HQ  http://www.rulesemporium.com/

Re: How do I whitelist this?

Posted by Mark Martinec <Ma...@ijs.si>.
> >> Ideally a milter will fake a return-path header when it fakes the
> >> required received header.
> >
> > For the record, current versions of MIMEDefang do this.  I believe
> > someone mentioned that current versions of Amavisd-new also do this.
> > YMMV with older releases and other milters.
>
> Ditto Qmail-Scanner. Any MTA-level agent that calls SA should be doing
> this (adding Return-Path or X-Envelope-From). If not, it's a bug (well,
> a lack of a feature ;-).

Correct, amavisd-new adds 'Return-Path:' with an envelope sender address,
and adds a 'X-Envelope-To:' with a comma-separated list of all envelope
recipient addresses - to a message that is given to SA for checking.

  Mark

Re: How do I whitelist this?

Posted by Jason Haar <Ja...@trimble.co.nz>.
Kelson wrote:
> Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:
>> Matt Kettler wrote:
>>> But this assumes that your SA is called after the Return-Path header is
>>> added, and not before. If you're using a milter, this won't work,
>>> but if
>>> you're calling from procmail, it will.
>>
>> Ideally a milter will fake a return-path header when it fakes the
>> required received header.
>
> For the record, current versions of MIMEDefang do this.  I believe
> someone mentioned that current versions of Amavisd-new also do this.
> YMMV with older releases and other milters.

Ditto Qmail-Scanner. Any MTA-level agent that calls SA should be doing
this (adding Return-Path or X-Envelope-From). If not, it's a bug (well,
a lack of a feature ;-).

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417

Re: How do I whitelist this?

Posted by Kelson <ke...@speed.net>.
Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:
> Matt Kettler wrote:
>> But this assumes that your SA is called after the Return-Path header is
>> added, and not before. If you're using a milter, this won't work, but if
>> you're calling from procmail, it will.
>
> Ideally a milter will fake a return-path header when it fakes the
> required received header.

For the record, current versions of MIMEDefang do this.  I believe
someone mentioned that current versions of Amavisd-new also do this.
YMMV with older releases and other milters.

--
Kelson Vibber

Re: How do I whitelist this?

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
Matt Kettler wrote:
> But this assumes that your SA is called after the Return-Path header is
> added, and not before. If you're using a milter, this won't work, but if
> you're calling from procmail, it will.

Ideally a milter will fake a return-path header when it fakes the
required received header.

If anyone finds themselves using a milter that doesn't fake a
return-path header I'd suggest that they persuade the milter author to
make it happen.

Daryl

Re: How do I whitelist this?

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
Steven Stern wrote:
> I'm having problems whitelisting mail sent through web sites with a from
> address supplied by the user.
>
> Case in point, I send an article from huffingtonpost.com to myself.  I
> used a "whitelist from huffingtonpost.com", but that doesn't reduce the
> spam score.
The proper syntax would be:
    whitelist_from *@huffingtonpost.com

Note the presence of an underscore. It's whitelist_from, not whitelist
from.

That said, whitelist_from is evil and should be avoided whenever
possible. whitelist_from_rcvd is significantly better, as it takes two
parameters and checks both the From: header (easily forged) and the

The proper syntax for that would be:
    whitelist_from_rcvd *@huffingtonpost.com huffingtonpost.com

But this assumes that your SA is called after the Return-Path header is
added, and not before. If you're using a milter, this won't work, but if
you're calling from procmail, it will.

And *always* do the following when editing your configuration:
    1) run spamassassin --lint. This should run and exit silently. If it
prints anything, fix the reported errors.
    2) If you use the spamc/spamd pair, and have edited a .cf file, you
need to restart spamd for the changes to take effect.