Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by John J Brecht <jo...@sri.com> on 2001/10/05 00:40:06 UTC

Serialization

Despite the fact that serialver shows all the objects that my app uses
to be serializable, i still get a NotSerializableException when I shut
down tomcat.

2001-10-04 15:32:15 StandardManager[/DLServlet] Cannot serialize session
attribute searchResults for session 84F5340285B3698849421230B8D9B2C3
java.io.NotSerializableException: java.io.StreamTokenizer
	at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.outputObject(Unknown Source)

The mysterious thing about this exception, is that the unserializable
class in question is not even being used.  The "searchResults" object is
an array of objects of mine that implement Serializable and pass the
serialver test.

At any rate, what is the impact of this exception?  sometimes when i
restart Tomcat, i find it in an unstable state (won't load pages and
doesn't display error messages) and i am wondering of this is the
problem.  if so, is there any way that i can circumvent it?  i've
already done everything i could to ensure that all of my objects that
might be written to the session are serializable.

thanks!

-john