Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Martin Rode <ma...@programmfabrik.de> on 2005/09/05 11:22:03 UTC

Optimize, OutOfMemory + Merge

Hi all,

The code snipset below does NOT result in an optimized index in one of
my test cases. As I understand, the optimized index, means that there is
only ONE segment file in the index folder. After this code has run, I
sometimes have 100 segment files in the directory.

When I call optimize() on the writer, most of the time I get OutOfMemory
(even with 800MB for the JVM).

What do I do wrong?

Best,
Martin

---- code snip start -----
                // optimize index
                IndexReader[] readers = new IndexReader[1];
                readers[0] = IndexReader.open(diri);
                writer = new IndexWriter(diri+"-optimized", anal, true);
                System.out.println("Merging to new Index:
'"+diri+"-optimized'");
                writer.addIndexes(readers);
                System.out.println("Done Merging.");
                readers[0].close();
---- code snip end ----

Re: Optimize, OutOfMemory + Merge

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
You should call .optimize() instead of merging.

     Erik