Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com> on 2002/09/11 00:32:08 UTC

memory leaks

I've moved ant's storage of task references from strong refs to weak refs on
java1.2+, though we will have to see what breaks in the next Gump to work
out the full list of adverse consequences. Ideally, nothing, though the
conditions that forced the caching in the first place are pretty rare in
public projects.

-pull down the CVS_HEAD of jakarta-ant, "build" it  (build install-lite is
fastest and puts it into ANT_HOME).,
-do an ant -version to make sure it is picked up
-do an ant all in axis.home.
-let me know of problems, either in Axis or anything else.

If the patch works ok it can be backfilled into ant1.5.1;

-steve

RE: memory leaks

Posted by Jon Ewing <jo...@mediasurface.com>.
<snip>

> but on a positive note, I didnt break the whole of the Gump
> nightly build with a barely tested patch to ant, which was a
> distinct possibility. I have stopped ant from building on
> java1.1, though, which I do need to correct.
>
> If it isnt Ant itself that is leaking, then the finger of
> suspicion has to go back to <javac>. Which may explain why
> I've never encountered the problem; i have
> build.compiler=jikes in my build.properties just for the
> speed difference; cleanup is a side effect. Everyone
> advocating continuous integration processes, including myself
> on p 396 of Java Dev with Ant, quite clearly say 'use jikes
> or fork javac'.
>
> I'm doing a build w/ javac instead of jikes to see if that
> can replicate the problem, but since I'm running java1.4.0, I
> have a different (not better, just different) version of
> javac. And I see that xml-axis on java.14 gump
> http://nagoya.apache.org/> ~rubys/gump/java14/xml-axis.html
>
> is failing with compile errors, not memory...

Well, downloaded the Axis CVS source first thing this morning, changed
nothing else, and it all compiled beautifully using javac.

jon.

Bug fix for org.apache.axis.message.SOAPBody

Posted by Allegar Robert <al...@bah.com>.
The method void addBodyElement(SOAPBodyElement element) in
org.apache.axis.message.SOAPBody is missing the following line of code
around line 170 in the 9.11.2002 build:

	bodyElements.addElement(element);

It doesn't actually add the passed-in element to the vector of body elements
without it. I don't have cvs or diff installed so apologies if the format
for this fix is incorrect.

Regards,
	Rob

Re: memory leaks

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4482232.html

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.

RE: memory leaks

Posted by jon ewing <jo...@mediasurface.com>.

My thoughts exactly ;)

Re: memory leaks

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
> Downloaded and compiled Ant from CVS source this morning:
>
> % ant -v
> Apache Ant version 1.6alpha compiled on September 11 2002
>
> But
>
> % ant functional-tests
>
> in yesterday's CVS tree of Axis still bombed in the same place
> with a java.lang.OutOfMemoryError (Java 1.3.1_04, Solaris 8).
>
> Jon.

bugger.

Re: memory leaks

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.