Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Matt Kent <ma...@persai.com> on 2008/03/17 23:14:47 UTC

runtime exceptions not killing job

I recently upgraded from Hadoop 0.14.1 to 0.16.1. Previously in 0.14.1,
if a map or reduce task threw a runtime exception such as an NPE, the
task, and ultimately the job, would fail in short order. I was running
on job on my local 0.16.1 cluster today, and when the reduce tasks
started throwing NPEs, the tasks just hung. Eventually they timed out
and were killed, but is this expected behavior in 0.16.1? I'd prefer the
job to fail quickly if NPEs are being thrown.

Matt

--
Matt Kent
Co-Founder

Re: runtime exceptions not killing job

Posted by Matt Kent <ma...@persai.com>.
It seems to happen only with reduce tasks, not map tasks. I reproduced
it by having a dummy reduce task throw an NPE immediately. The error is
shown on the reduce details page but the job does not register the task
as failed. I've attached the task tracker stack trace, the child stack
trace and a screenshot of the task list page.

Matt

Posted by Owen O'Malley <oo...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Re: Hadoop-Patch buil is not progressing for 6 hours

Posted by Nigel Daley <nd...@yahoo-inc.com>.
org.apache.hadoop.streaming.TestGzipInput was stuck.  I killed it.

Nige

Posted by Chris Dyer <re...@umd.edu>.
I've noticed this behavior as well in 16.0 with RuntimeExceptions in general.

Chris