Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Thomas Wolf <tj...@gmail.com> on 2021/12/01 21:55:03 UTC

NB 12.4 creating new project I get this error...

Hi everyone,
I’m at a loss here.  I hope you guys can help:

I created a completely new GIT repository on my mac at:

/Users/twolf/spectare/git/satriage
and then created a src/ directory under it.

Next, I opened Netbeans and tried to create a project this way (have done
this dozens of times without trouble):

New Project… -> Java with Ant -> Java with Existing Source

I enter a project name ‘satriage’ and hit ‘Next’ where I’m asked to enter a
source package folder.  I try to enter:

/Users/twolf/spectare/git/satriage/src/

but I get an error message about that package having been used in another
project??? (see attached error dialog)
Nonetheless, I did a ‘grep -r ‘satriage’ . in my NetBeansProjects/
directory to see if any project references this directory - but none do.  I
also deleted $HOME/Library/Caches/NetBeans/12.4/ in case thee’s some old,
cached info that might be to blame - but no luck.  Still getting that error
:-(
Then I deleted $HOME/Library/Application Support/NetBeans/12.4 - still the
same error :-(
Next, I renamed my $HOME/NetBeansProjects/ directory - again, same error :-(

In my desperation, I installed Netbeans 12.5 from scratch and without
importing any settings from 12.4.  But STILL the same error :-(  Neither NB
12.4 nor 12.5 had any projects open when I did this, so how does NB decide
that the package is in use in another project???

Again, in terms of env, I’m running NB 12.4 w. JDK 17 on macOS Monterey.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.  Thanks a bunch,
tom

Re: Re: NB 12.4 creating new project I get this error...

Posted by Thomas Wolf <tj...@gmail.com>.
 Hi Eric,
Thanks for the suggestion but I don’t think that’s the case.  Eventually
creating a project with this exact same combination worked (but, again, I
don’t know what changes - removing an old ~/.netbeans/ or creating a
different project of same name elsewhere - caused it to work again).

I love that I’m up and running again, but hate that I haven’t got a clue
what fixed things :-(  Next time, I will know how to set Netbeans to the
max logging level to hopefully get better insight.

Best,
Tom

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.

Ebresie@gmail.com (mailto:Ebresie@gmail.com)

Posted by Thomas Wolf <tj...@gmail.com>.
 Thanks a bunch.
Tom

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ernie Rael <er...@raelity.com>.
There's a plugin, https://plugins.netbeans.apache.org/catalogue/?id=40,
that allows *dynamic* control of loggers in the /running/ NetBeans. Its
wiki has an example, http://raelity.com/jlogman/Home.html#example,
showing how to control logging for sub-trees of the logger hierarchy.
Changes can be saved and applied automatically at startup.

-ernie

Posted by Thomas Wolf <tj...@gmail.com>.
Hi again,

Posted by Thomas Wolf <tj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thomas Wolf <tj...@gmail.com>.
 Hi Laszlo,
I always use the same project type (Java with existing source), so Netbeans
lets me specify the directories containing the source.  In this case, this
was a brand new git repository - i.e. a completely empty one.  All I had
added to this new repository is a ’src’ directory.  So, no, there was no
build script or anything else yet.

When you suggest I create a folder in my $HOME/ and create a project in it,
I assume you mean I should create a “Java with existing source” project
there?  I just tried that - and still get the same error dialog.

Tom

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Giles Winstanley <st...@snaq.net>.
I've certainly encountered something similar before, which seemed to be
related to trying to create a project with the same name as one NB
previously knew about. While I don't know about NB internals, from
memory I tracked it down to being related to NB's caching of "Open
Recent Project" info. If you can find a way to nuke that info
(unfortunately I can't remember how I did it) it may help. Possibly it's
related to the info in /projectui.properties/ (on macOS:
/~/Library/Application
Support/NetBeans/12.4/config/Preferences/org/netbeans/modules/projectui.properties/;
elsewhere on other platforms).

Stan

Posted by Thomas Wolf <tj...@gmail.com>.
 Forgot to mention - I also did a ‘find . -name twolf -print’ in my $HOME
directory to see if there was another ’twolf’ directory/ somewhere - there
wasn’t.
Again, any other help is appreciated.
Tom

Posted by Thomas Wolf <tj...@gmail.com>.