Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by em...@superig.com.br on 2006/02/17 22:38:00 UTC

[users@httpd] You don't have permission to access

Hello

I read the docs and tried to search the archive4s (There is no search engine
on the apache archives - if there is please let me know). but I couldn't find
anything that can help me with the error "You don't have permission to
access".

I have no problem to access the default apache page (Welcome to ...) so I
assume that I have installed apache ok.  The only thing I want to do with
apache is to allow my users to have the web pages with authentication so I
did (on /etc/http/httpd2.conf)

AccessFileName .htaccess

<IfModule mod_userdir.c>
    UserDir /var/www/users/*/public_html
</IfModule>

then mkdir /var/www/users/xxx/public_html. In this dir I put an
index.html, .htaccess and .htpasswd ( htpasswd -c .htpasswd xxx).

When I point to xx.xxx.org/~xxx, apache returns

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /~xxx on this server

the log shows

[Fri Feb 17 19:36:34 2006] [error] [client 000000000] client denied by server
configuration: /var/www/users/xxx/public_html

What have I done wrong?

Many thanks

Ed

Re: [users@httpd] You don't have permission to access

Posted by Bob Kinney <bc...@yahoo.com>.
I'm a complete rookie at this, but this sounds like what I just did on my
site.  I don't recognize your constructs, but I found a great resource here:

http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialApacheAddingLoginSiteProtection.html

For simplicity (and potentially performance), I opted to place the controls in
httpd.conf rather than using htaccess files (I'm only using one directory at
this point).  One other erratum is that while the site above recommends putting
the htpasswd file in the directory it serves, the apache.org documentation
points out the possible security risk of doing so.  I placed mine in an "etc"
directory above the site's root instead.  Makes sense; works great.

You must be on the right track, because at least the server is guarding the
directory.

--bc