Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Thom Hehl <th...@nowhereatall.com> on 2005/08/02 15:54:03 UTC

CGI character translation???

OK, not exactly perl, but this was the closest list I could find.

I am running a perl CGI script that launches a java program. This java
program writes output files that are delimited using what I believe to
be a unicode character. On most editors it looks like an upside-down
question mark, which I believe is correct. On some editors, it shows as
a degree symbol. This character is represented by the hex pair 0xc2a1.
Here is the character '¡'.

Now here is the problem. When I test my java program everything is
great. When I test the perl script to launch the java program, all is
still well. When I run my perl script through CGI, though, it replaces
each occurrence of the above character with ??. I cannot understand why
the CGI is interfering with file output from my program. This is not
going through display, but is directly writing this file. Anyone have
any ideas?

Also, if anyone can suggest a better list, I'd appreciate that too.

Thanks.

Re: CGI character translation???

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.
Thom Hehl wrote:
> OK, not exactly perl, but this was the closest list I could find.
>
> I am running a perl CGI script that launches a java program. This java
> program writes output files that are delimited using what I believe to
> be a unicode character. On most editors it looks like an upside-down
> question mark, which I believe is correct. On some editors, it shows as
> a degree symbol. This character is represented by the hex pair 0xc2a1.
> Here is the character '¡'.
>
> Now here is the problem. When I test my java program everything is
> great. When I test the perl script to launch the java program, all is
> still well. When I run my perl script through CGI, though, it replaces
> each occurrence of the above character with ??. I cannot understand why
> the CGI is interfering with file output from my program. This is not
> going through display, but is directly writing this file. Anyone have
> any ideas?
>
> Also, if anyone can suggest a better list, I'd appreciate that too.
Are you using CGI.pm(what version if so) and are you passing this though
the $ENV{QUERY_STRING} ?

You might try a utf-8 perl list:

from http://lists.cpan.org/
this is the only one with utf-8 in the desc.

http://lists.cpan.org/showlist.cgi?name=perl-i18n

UTF-8 continually has bugs fixed and enhanced in the perl core.  What
version of perl are you using ?

Sorry I only asked questions, maybe they will point you somewhere useful.

Re: CGI character translation???

Posted by Gedanken <ge...@io.com>.
On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, Thom Hehl wrote:

Possibly the LANG environment variable for the user you test with is not
the same as the LANG var for the user the webserver runs as?

I had a similar thing i tried to debug a few weeks ago.  I couldnt 'su' to
the user 'nobody' which was annoying so it took some time to figure out it
was an environ problem.

ged

--
gedanken