Posted to ojb-dev@db.apache.org by Thomas Dudziak <to...@first.fhg.de> on 2004/08/08 23:11:48 UTC

Unit test problems with Firebird

Hi,

while adding support for Firebird to commons-sql, I noticed a couple of
problems with the unit tests when using Firebird:

* Firebird only allows indices (including primary keys) of length ~ 240
- 250 bytes. I.e. OJB_HL_SEQ has a two-field primary key:

    TABLENAME VARCHAR (175) NOT NULL,
    FIELDNAME VARCHAR (70) NOT NULL,

which totals to 245 bytes (plus extra bytes for VARCHAR support) which
is too much for Firebird. Other tables where this problem occurs:

OJB_LOCKENTRY
REF_REGION

The same applies to foreign keys, which means that the foreign key from
table REF_WINE to table REF_REGION

FOREIGN KEY (REGION_NAME, REGION_COUNTRY) REFERENCES REF_REGION (NAME,
COUNTRY)

fails to create

* TYPE is a column of table PKFK_GENDER, but also a reserved keyword in
Firebird

* Columns and apparently constraints, too, can only have names up to 31
characters long. This leads to problems when creating named foreign keys
which are made up from the table name appened by "_FK_[fk number]". E.g.
for table COLLECTION_COLLECTIBLE_BASE and INHERITANCE_MULTI_EXECUTIVE
these fk names become too long.

Tom