Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2022/03/25 23:02:37 UTC

Move from Travis to GitHub Actions

I have set up a couple of GH Actions to replace the Travis jobs.

These seem to be working OK finally after a lot of false starts.

Note that the screen navigation tests have to be skipped, as they were
on Travis.
This is because chromedriver crashes, which appears to be because GH
runs headless.
I've not been able to find out how to fix this, but at least the same
set of tests now run under GH, so I have renamed the Travis file to
switch it off.

Sebb

Re: Move from Travis to GitHub Actions

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Tue, Mar 29, 2022 at 12:57 PM sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> AFAICT the navigate test does not use the Vue server, so I assume the
> problem must be somewhere in Capybara/Puma/Selenium.
>
> So it would be useful to enable some tracing for those.

Agreed.

Meanwhile, some random thoughts:

1) The hex address stack traceback shown in the current log is useless.
2) The error message that we do have implies some sort of server failure.
3) The test in question is a client test.  No specific server
functionality is being called for here beyond what is exercised in
other tests.
4) The indication is that the error is occurring on a HTTP get request.

Net: none of this makes sense.  The test also passes for me on my
laptop - other than hanging at the end as I have a newer version of
node installed.

On *THAT* topic, I don't presume that the underlying issue is an API
change, but rather node not knowing when to quit.  Essentially JS is
an event driven language where you write code that waits for events.
Programs exit only when node is sure that no possible future events
can ever take place.  Something in node's heuristics must have
changed.

This all works out much better - at least it is easier to reason
about, if the client and server are written in the same language.  But
that doesn't seem meant to be - at least not here at the ASF.

I guess my recommendation is to not enable that one test, and leave
that problem to the infra team.

- Sam Ruby

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 7:02 PM sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have set up a couple of GH Actions to replace the Travis jobs.

Excellent!

> These seem to be working OK finally after a lot of false starts.
>
> Note that the screen navigation tests have to be skipped, as they were
> on Travis.
> This is because chromedriver crashes, which appears to be because GH
> runs headless.
> I've not been able to find out how to fix this, but at least the same
> set of tests now run under GH, so I have renamed the Travis file to
> switch it off.

Have you tried https://github.com/marketplace/actions/setup-chromedriver ?

> Sebb

- Sam Ruby