Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2008/02/01 10:17:32 UTC

Re: MIME module (svn commit: r615594 ff)

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 18:07 +0100, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi Oleg,

> > Log:
> > Added HttpClient MIME module
>
> thanks a lot for taking care of this. I haven't had time
> yet to look into, but I'll try to update my local build
> next weekend.
>
> Should we have a modules discussion for alpha3 or delay
> that until alpha4? Later would be impractical, we should
> rather make a choice early on and then stick with it.

Roland et al,

I guess it is about time. Feel free to kick off the discussion. This
also may be a good opportunity to discuss our options for NTLM support.

Oleg

Re: NTLM stuff, again; was Re: MIME module (svn commit: r615594 ff)

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 19:48 +0100, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
> >
> > The trouble is that even if we had clear-cut guidelines about the use of
> > LGPL libraries in ASF projects it would not get any further, because at
> > this point no one expressed willingness to take upon the task of writing
> > an auth scheme based on JCIFS. It will not be me at any rate. So,
> > presently there is no way around depending on our old code, barring
> > dropping NTLM support altogether. The question is whether we want to
> > depend on the HttpClient 3.1 binary or import old NTLM code to the new
> > codeline.
>
> Contrib code that depends on the HttpClient 3.1 binary is my preference.
> I'd be interested in looking into jCIFS, but will have no spare cycles
> for it. It would be good to have some NTLM code to get HTTPCLIENT-652
> right, but we could also work that out with dummy state or SSL client
> authentication. If there is a lot of interest in NTLM support from the
> community, there should also be volunteers.
> The reason why I want to defer this discussion beyond alpha3 is that I
> will not have cycles left for HTTPCLIENT-652 either, and that seems to
> be a prerequisite for NTLM support.

All right. Let's postpone the decision for one more ALPHA release

Oleg

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Oleg,

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 19:12 +0100, Roland Weber wrote:
> Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> > [...] may be a good opportunity to discuss our options for NTLM support.
>
> There was recently another thread about LGPL on legal-discuss.
> It left me confused as ever, but it seems that
> a) MINA will host code that depends directly on LGPL
> b) Sam Ruby is preparing some guideline for board approval
>    in one of the next board meetings
>
> I suggest to keep NTLM support and HTTPCLIENT-652 out of
> alpha3 and to hope that Sam will have a final guideline or
> policy or whatevery after the March or April board meeting.

Roland et al,

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.