Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Neil Shah <sh...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/30 14:20:10 UTC

Fwd: Running word count in Local cluster using Apache Storm

Hi,

I am following book " Getting started with Storm"
http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9781449324025?iid=2013-12-blog-storm-book-9781449324025-SBOBlog

They have specified Spouts and Bolts at following link
https://github.com/storm-book/examples-ch02-getting_started/zipball/master

When i try to run the topology using maven command

mvn exec:java -Dexec.mainClass="TopologyMain"
-Dexec.args="src/main/resources/words.txt"

where TopologyMain is the main class name
It is throwing me following error

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.codehaus.mojo:exec-maven-plugin:1.3:java (def
ault-cli) on project stormArtifact: The parameters 'mainClass' for goal org.code
haus.mojo:exec-maven-plugin:1.3:java are missing or invalid -> [Help 1]
[ERROR]
[ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run Maven with the -e swit
ch.
[ERROR]
[ERROR] For more information about the errors and possible solutions, please rea
d the following articles:
[ERROR] [Help 1] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/PluginParamete
rException

My pom.xml is as below

xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0http://maven.apache.org/xsd/maven-4.0.0.xsd">
<modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
<groupId>stormGroup</groupId>
<artifactId>stormArtifact</artifactId>
<version>0.0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
<build>
<plugins>
<plugin>
    <version>2.3.2</version>
    <configuration>
        <source>1.7</source>
        <target>1.7</target>
        <compilerVersion>1.7</compilerVersion>
    </configuration>
</plugin>
</plugins>
</build>
<repositories>
<!-- Repository where we can found the storm dependencies -->
<repository>
<id>clojars.org</id>
<url>http://clojars.org/repo</url>
</repository>
</repositories>
<dependencies>
<!-- Storm Dependency -->
<dependency>
<groupId>storm</groupId>
<artifactId>storm</artifactId>
<version>0.9.0</version>
</dependency>
</dependencies>
</project>

Can anybody help me with the issue? Let me know if you need any more details

--
Thanks & Regards
Neil Shah

Re: Fwd: Running word count in Local cluster using Apache Storm

Posted by Harsha <st...@harsha.io>.
Not sure about the eclipse but I would recommend to import as maven
project from eclipse.

On Fri, May 30, 2014, at 08:19 AM, Neil Shah wrote:

Hi,

Yes. You are correct. I tried using Storm 0.9.0, but still received
same error. Thanks for your help.
I will try in Ubuntu and see if it works.

Can you please tell me about the initial error that i got?
What i did was i created a separate Maven project in Eclipse. I copied
corresponding files (spouts, bolts,pom and main file) from the
downloaded project from the above link to the corresponding location
and ran the mvn commands.
It should have worked. Not sure why it is throwing errors.

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.codehaus.mojo:exec-maven-plugin:1.3:java (def
ault-cli) on project stormArtifact: The parameters 'mainClass' for goal org.code
haus.mojo:exec-maven-plugin:1.3:java are missing or invalid -> [Help 1]
[ERROR]
[ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run Maven with the -e swit
ch.
[ERROR]
[ERROR] For more information about the errors and possible solutions, please rea
d the following articles:
[ERROR] [Help 1] [1]http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/PluginParam
ete
rException

Thanks,
Neil Shah

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 10:32 PM, Harsha <[2...@harsha.io> wrote:

>From the logs it seems to me the issue is with zookeeper not releasing
lock on log files and storm trying to cleanup the logs. Its a known
issue for zookeeper in windows. If you can try upgrading to 0.9.1 but I
don't think that will fix it though.
[3]https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STORM-280?filter=-2.
-Harsha.

On Fri, May 30, 2014, at 07:12 AM, Neil Shah wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the input. I did run the command as suggested. I get below
exception. I am running command as administrator using Windows 7.

A separate question - Does Storm 0.7.1 which is written in original POm
file in downloads, support Windows?

Exception that i got was :-

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.codehaus.mojo:exec-maven-plugin:1.3:java (def
ault-cli) on project Getting-Started: An exception occured while
executing the J
ava class. null: InvocationTargetException: Unable to delete file:
C:\Users\user12
~1\AppData\Local\Temp\3deb39d5-e76a-492b-b7ac-22ce57fdba3c\version-2\lo
g.1 ->
[Help 1]
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Failed to
execute goal o
rg.codehaus.mojo:exec-maven-plugin:1.3:java (default-cli) on project
Getting-Sta
rted: An exception occured while executing the Java class. null
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor
.java:216)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor
.java:153)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor
.java:145)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleModuleBuilder.buildProje
ct(LifecycleModuleBuilder.java:108)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleModuleBuilder.buildProje
ct(LifecycleModuleBuilder.java:76)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.builder.singlethreaded.SingleThre
adedBuilder.build(SingleThreadedBuilder.java:51)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleStarter.execute(Lifecycl
eStarter.java:116)
        at
org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:361)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:155)
        at
java:57)
        at
sorImpl.java:43)
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.launchEnhanced(Laun
cher.java:289)
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.launch(Launcher.jav
a:229)
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.mainWithExitCode(La
uncher.java:415)
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:
356)
Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.MojoExecutionException: An exception
occured
while executing the Java class. null
        at
org.codehaus.mojo.exec.ExecJavaMojo.execute(ExecJavaMojo.java:345)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultBuildPluginManager.executeMojo(Default
BuildPluginManager.java:133)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor
.java:208)
        ... 19 more
        at
java:57)
        at
sorImpl.java:43)
        at
org.codehaus.mojo.exec.ExecJavaMojo$1.run(ExecJavaMojo.java:293)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:724)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Unable to delete file:
C:\Users\RAJESH~1\AppData
\Local\Temp\3deb39d5-e76a-492b-b7ac-22ce57fdba3c\version-2\log.1
        at
org.apache.commons.io.FileUtils.forceDelete(FileUtils.java:1390)
        at
org.apache.commons.io.FileUtils.cleanDirectory(FileUtils.java:1044)
        at
org.apache.commons.io.FileUtils.deleteDirectory(FileUtils.java:977)
        at
org.apache.commons.io.FileUtils.forceDelete(FileUtils.java:1381)
        at
org.apache.commons.io.FileUtils.cleanDirectory(FileUtils.java:1044)
        at
org.apache.commons.io.FileUtils.deleteDirectory(FileUtils.java:977)
        at
org.apache.commons.io.FileUtils.forceDelete(FileUtils.java:1381)
        at backtype.storm.util$rmr.invoke(util.clj:307)
        at
backtype.storm.testing$kill_local_storm_cluster.invoke(testing.clj:16
4)
        at
backtype.storm.LocalCluster$_shutdown.invoke(LocalCluster.clj:21)
        at backtype.storm.LocalCluster.shutdown(Unknown Source)
        at TopologyMain.main(TopologyMain.java:30)
        ... 6 more

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 9:04 PM, Harsha <[4...@harsha.io> wrote:

Hi Neil,
        I did the following

~/Downloads/storm-book-examples-ch02-getting_started-8e42636 ⮀
» mvn clean package
» mvn exec:java -Dexec.mainClass="TopologyMain"
-Dexec.args="src/main/resources/words.txt"
-- Word Counter [word-counter-2] --
really: 1
but: 1
application: 1
is: 2
great: 2
are: 1
test: 1
simple: 1
an: 1
powerfull: 1
storm: 3
very: 1
I was able to run the TopologyMain.
This is with
mvn --version

Apache Maven 3.2.1 (ea8b2b07643dbb1b84b6d16e1f08391b666bc1e9;
2014-02-14T09:37:52-08:00)
Maven home: /usr/local/Cellar/maven/3.2.1/libexec
Java version: 1.6.0_65, vendor: Apple Inc.
Java home:
/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/[5]1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home
Default locale: en_US, platform encoding: MacRoman
OS name: "mac os x", version: "10.9.2", arch: "x86_64", family: "mac"

Can you run the following
mvn -X exec:java -Dexec.mainClass="TopologyMain"
-Dexec.args="src/main/resources/words.txt"

If you see java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: TopologyMain
build the package by mvn clean package.
-Harsha

[6]http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9781449324025?iid=2013-12-blog-storm

[7]https://github.com/storm-book/examples-ch02-getting_started/zipball/
master

When i try to run the topology using maven command
mvn exec:java -Dexec.mainClass="TopologyMain" -Dexec.args="src/main/resources/wo
rds.txt"

where TopologyMain is the main class name
It is throwing me following error

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.codehaus.mojo:exec-maven-plugin:1.3:java (def
ault-cli) on project stormArtifact: The parameters 'mainClass' for goal org.code
haus.mojo:exec-maven-plugin:1.3:java are missing or invalid -> [Help 1]
[ERROR]
[ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run Maven with the -e swit
ch.
[ERROR]
[ERROR] For more information about the errors and possible solutions, please rea
d the following articles:
[ERROR] [Help 1] [8]http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/PluginParam
ete
rException

My pom.xml is as below

<project xmlns="[9]http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0"
xmlns:xsi="[10]http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance
"
xsi:schemaLocation="[11]http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0[12]http://maven.apache
.org/xsd/maven-4.0.0.xsd">
<modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
<groupId>stormGroup</groupId>
<artifactId>stormArtifact</artifactId>
<version>0.0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
<build>
<plugins>
<plugin>
 <version>2.3.2</version>
 <configuration>
     <source>1.7</source>
     <target>1.7</target>
     <compilerVersion>1.7</compilerVersion>
 </configuration>
</plugin>
</plugins>
</build>
<repositories>
<!-- Repository where we can found the storm dependencies -->
<repository>
<id>[13]clojars.org</id>
<url>[14]http://clojars.org/repo</url>
</repository>
</repositories>
<dependencies>
<!-- Storm Dependency -->
<dependency>
<groupId>storm</groupId>
<artifactId>storm</artifactId>
<version>0.9.0</version>
</dependency>
</dependencies>
</project>

Can anybody help me with the issue? Let me know if you need any more
details

--
Thanks & Regards
Neil Shah

--
Thanks & Regards
Neil Shah

--
Thanks & Regards
Neil Shah

References

1. http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/PluginParamete
2. mailto:storm@harsha.io
3. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STORM-280?filter=-2
4. mailto:storm@harsha.io
5. http://1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home
6. http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9781449324025?iid=2013-12-blog-storm-book-9781449324025-SBOBlog
  13. http://clojars.org/
  14. http://clojars.org/repo

Re: Fwd: Running word count in Local cluster using Apache Storm

Posted by Neil Shah <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Harsha <st...@harsha.io>.

[1]https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STORM-280?filter=-2.

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 9:04 PM, Harsha <[2...@harsha.io> wrote:

[...]

/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/[3]1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home

[4]http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9781449324025?iid=2013-12-blog-storm

[5]https://github.com/storm-book/examples-ch02-getting_started/zipball/
master

When i try to run the topology using maven command
mvn exec:java -Dexec.mainClass="TopologyMain" -Dexec.args="src/main/resources/wo
rds.txt"

where TopologyMain is the main class name
It is throwing me following error

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.codehaus.mojo:exec-maven-plugin:1.3:java (def
ault-cli) on project stormArtifact: The parameters 'mainClass' for goal org.code
haus.mojo:exec-maven-plugin:1.3:java are missing or invalid -> [Help 1]
[ERROR]
[ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run Maven with the -e swit
ch.
[ERROR]
[ERROR] For more information about the errors and possible solutions, please rea
d the following articles:
[ERROR] [Help 1] [6]http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/PluginParam
ete
rException

My pom.xml is as below

<project xmlns="[7]http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0"
xmlns:xsi="[8]http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance
"
xsi:schemaLocation="[9]http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0[10]http://maven.apache.
org/xsd/maven-4.0.0.xsd">
<modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
<groupId>stormGroup</groupId>
<artifactId>stormArtifact</artifactId>
<version>0.0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
<build>
<plugins>
<plugin>
 <version>2.3.2</version>
 <configuration>
     <source>1.7</source>
     <target>1.7</target>
     <compilerVersion>1.7</compilerVersion>
 </configuration>
</plugin>
</plugins>
</build>
<repositories>
<!-- Repository where we can found the storm dependencies -->
<repository>
<id>[11]clojars.org</id>
<url>[12]http://clojars.org/repo</url>

3. http://1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home
4. http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9781449324025?iid=2013-12-blog-storm-book-9781449324025-SBOBlog
  11. http://clojars.org/
  12. http://clojars.org/repo

Re: Fwd: Running word count in Local cluster using Apache Storm

Posted by Neil Shah <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Harsha <st...@harsha.io>.
Hi Neil,

[...]

/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/[1]1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home

[2]http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9781449324025?iid=2013-12-blog-storm

[3]https://github.com/storm-book/examples-ch02-getting_started/zipball/
master

When i try to run the topology using maven command
mvn exec:java -Dexec.mainClass="TopologyMain" -Dexec.args="src/main/resources/wo
rds.txt"

where TopologyMain is the main class name
It is throwing me following error

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.codehaus.mojo:exec-maven-plugin:1.3:java (def
ault-cli) on project stormArtifact: The parameters 'mainClass' for goal org.code
haus.mojo:exec-maven-plugin:1.3:java are missing or invalid -> [Help 1]
[ERROR]
[ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run Maven with the -e swit
ch.
[ERROR]
[ERROR] For more information about the errors and possible solutions, please rea
d the following articles:
[ERROR] [Help 1] [4]http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/PluginParam
ete
rException

My pom.xml is as below

<project xmlns="[5]http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0"
xmlns:xsi="[6]http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:schemaLocation="[7]http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0[8]http://maven.apache.o
rg/xsd/maven-4.0.0.xsd">
<modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
<groupId>stormGroup</groupId>
<artifactId>stormArtifact</artifactId>
<version>0.0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
<build>
<plugins>
<plugin>
 <version>2.3.2</version>
 <configuration>
     <source>1.7</source>
     <target>1.7</target>
     <compilerVersion>1.7</compilerVersion>
 </configuration>
</plugin>
</plugins>
</build>
<repositories>
<!-- Repository where we can found the storm dependencies -->
<repository>
<id>[9]clojars.org</id>
<url>[10]http://clojars.org/repo</url>