Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/27 14:12:57 UTC

Updates and Checouts Failing...

I've recently been getting reports about Subversion commands failing.
This happens in Eclipse, Tortoise, and the command line. Everyone
whose reported on these problems have been on Windows systems. There
is no error in the Apache log, they simply get "Server Reset
Connection" errors.

Here's the latest one that happened while doing an update in Tortoise::

(Window Title: C:\eclipse_workspace\neo_ibfiltering - Update -
TortoiseSVN Failed!)

[...]
Added: C:\eclipse_workspace\neo_ibfiltering\adsales\web\dojo-src\dojox\dtl\demos\json\fruit.json
Added: C:\eclipse_workspace\neo_ibfiltering\adsales\web\dojo-src\dojox\dtl\demos\json\blog
Error     Report of '/dev/!svn/vcc/default': Could not read response
body: connection was
Error     closed by server (http://subversion.solbright.com)
Finished!

This user also reported that they got an "RA layer request failed"
while trying to do this via Eclipse.

I suspect that there may be an issue with our network or our Apache
setup. These are extremely long operations. I wonder if the Apache
server is timing out. And, if it is, how can I prevent that from
happening.

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

Re: Updates and Checouts Failing...

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
I've found some errors in the Apache error.log file:

[Fri Mar 27 01:33:11 2009] [error] [client 10.14.78.198] Provider
encountered an error while streaming a REPORT response.  [500, #0]
[Fri Mar 27 01:33:11 2009] [error] [client 10.14.78.198] A failure
occurred while driving the update report editor  [500, #190004]

I'm not sure whether or not this is the same error.

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 10:12 AM, David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've recently been getting reports about Subversion commands failing.
> This happens in Eclipse, Tortoise, and the command line. Everyone
> whose reported on these problems have been on Windows systems. There
> is no error in the Apache log, they simply get "Server Reset
> Connection" errors.
>
> Here's the latest one that happened while doing an update in Tortoise::
>
> (Window Title: C:\eclipse_workspace\neo_ibfiltering - Update -
> TortoiseSVN Failed!)
>
> [...]
> Added: C:\eclipse_workspace\neo_ibfiltering\adsales\web\dojo-src\dojox\dtl\demos\json\fruit.json
> Added: C:\eclipse_workspace\neo_ibfiltering\adsales\web\dojo-src\dojox\dtl\demos\json\blog
> Error     Report of '/dev/!svn/vcc/default': Could not read response
> body: connection was
> Error     closed by server (http://subversion.solbright.com)
> Finished!
>
> This user also reported that they got an "RA layer request failed"
> while trying to do this via Eclipse.
>
> I suspect that there may be an issue with our network or our Apache
> setup. These are extremely long operations. I wonder if the Apache
> server is timing out. And, if it is, how can I prevent that from
> happening.
>
> --
> David Weintraub
> qazwart@gmail.com

David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

RE: Re: Updates and Checouts Failing...

Posted by Leanid Nazdrynau <ln...@gmail.com>.
Have same problem.
I did upgrade of Apache to 2.2.11 and SVN from 1.4.4 to 1.6.1
Next Monday I started to get checkout problems.
since then I tried everything even roll back to 2.2.4 and SVN 1.4.4 still have the problem.

Now I noticed that out IT push latest upgrade to all desktops on Monday morning.

Maybe this is the problem.

Re: Updates and Checouts Failing...

Posted by km...@rockwellcollins.com.
David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com> wrote on 03/27/2009 11:21:05 AM:
> I'm not too worried about a Denial of Service Attack since this server
> is behind a firewall and is unreachable via The Tubes.
>
> Of course, if someone really wanted to do a DOS attack on our clients,
> they'd let us install our software (RIM SHOT!)... But, seriously
> folks!
>
> I've increased the timeout from 120 seconds to 240 seconds (these are
> seconds. Right?).  I was worried if this was too much, but I can see
> from your example that you increased this to 1200 seconds or about 20
> minutes.

Yes, that value I have is extremely large to workaround this
issue for gigantic files on very slow access devices...

> I've found a bit more information going on. From what I read, this
> seems to be a problem with directories that contain lots of files and
> with Windows SP3. And, yes, it is happening on our Windows SP3 and in
> a directory with lots and lots of files in it. We'll see if this
> helps.
>
> Anyone else ran into this issue or has modified their Timeout setting on
Apache?

> And, what is the official Subversion policy of the Apache "KeepAlive"
> setting. By default, this is off. Should I turn it on for a Subversion
> server?

I have keepalive on (with a much smaller timeout of 5 sec).  I think
this is mainly because I was testing some connection oriented
authentication stuff, but it might improve some other situations
as well...

Kevin R.

Re: Updates and Checouts Failing...

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.