Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2005/06/25 15:57:30 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Tapestry 4.0-beta-1

The first beta release of Tapestry 4.0 is now available. Tapestry is a
component based web application framework that provides lots of
functionality with minimal Java coding, and creates an environment
that supports high levels of reuse. Tapestry 4.0 represents a
significant advance over Tapestry 3.0. A few of our favorite changes
in 4.0:

    * The new 4.0 specification DTDs have been simplified.
    * The syntax used for binding parameters inside an HTML template
and inside an XML specification is now consistent. Both make use of
the binding prefixes.
    * "Friendly" URLs (that is, URLs that pack more information into
the path and less into query parameters) are built in. This makes it
easy to divide your application across many folders (reducing
clutter), and leverage J2EE declarative security along the way.
    * Listener methods are much easier and more flexible; listener
parameters in the URL are automatically mapped to listener method
parameters, and listener methods can return the page name or page
instance to activate.
    * Component parameters now just work, without having to worry
about "direction".
    * Applications can now have a global message catalog, in addition
to per-page and per-component message catalogs. Messages not found in
the component message catalog are searched for in the application
catalog.
    * Full, native support for developing JSR-168 Portlets has been added.
    * Tapestry 4.0 makes much less use of reflection and OGNL than
Tapestry 3.0; partly because there are many new binding prefixes and
largely because of how parameters are now implemented.
    * HiveMind services and Spring beans to be directly injected into
page and component classes.
    * Tapestry 4.0 includes optional JDK 1.5 annotation support (but
Tapestry still works with JDK 1.3).
    * Tapestry 4.0 debuts a new and much more sophisticated user input
validation subsystem. Thanks Paul!
    * Line precise error reporting can now display the contents of
files containing errors.
    * Forms can now be canceled, bypassing client-side validation
logic, and invoking an alternate listener on the server-side.
    * You are no longer limited to just Global and Visit; you can have
as many application state objects as you like.
    * The use of HiveMind under the covers means that Tapestry can be
easily customized to fit your needs.
    * Page properties can now be persisted on the client, as well as
in the session.
    * Components and component parameters can now be marked as
deprecated. Component parameters may have aliases (used when renaming
a parameter).

The complete list of changes is almost too numerous to enumerate.
Suffice to say, everything is about getting more bang for the buck;
reducing the amount of Java code, reducing the complexity of
templates, and simplifying (or eliminating) XML files.

Tapestry is distributed as a combined binary/source distribution, and
a seperate documentation distribution.

Download Tapestry from
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/downloads/downloads_tapestry.cgi
--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Tapestry 4.0-beta-1

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
I believe the junit-report.xml (the support for the Junit Tests
report) is newer thant hivemind 1.1-beta-1.

Posted by Chris Conrad <cc...@vasoftware.com>.

Posted by Chris Nelson <cn...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Kevin Menard <ni...@negativetwenty.net>.

Posted by Vjeran Marcinko <vj...@email.t-com.hr>.
Not that I blame anyone, because there was so little time recently for
developers to do all that was required, but distribution .zip seems quite
confusing. It seems more as plain CVS checkout made for developing, than as
proper distribution package for end users. There are bunch of unnecessary
directories, no dependency .jars at all (I thought there should be just few
with non-ASL licence missing) ...etc..
Some polishing definetly has to be done here.
Root directory with /docs, /lib, /src, IMPORTANT.txt (to inform about
missing dependencies) and build.xml for downloading missing dependencies
would be ideal.

-Vjeran

Posted by Kevin Menard <ni...@negativetwenty.net>.

Posted by Vjeran Marcinko <vj...@os.t-com.hr>.
Congrats!

Though, looking at recent wild pace of development caused by JavaOne Web
Framework Smackdown, I just hope no serious bug will pop up during your
presentation ;)

-Vjeran

Posted by Kevin Menard <ni...@negativetwenty.net>.