Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by David Taylor <da...@gmail.com> on 2018/01/02 19:12:59 UTC

Integrating Opencart 3.0.2.0 with SOLR 7.1

Hi all,

I am trying to integrate an OC website with SOLR 7.1. in standalone mode. I
have managed to connect to and import from MySQL however, need help putting
the front end together.

I have tried to following these instructions
http://blog.e-zest.com/integrate-apache-solr-with-opencart/ but do not seem
to be able to connect PHP to the SOLR server using the suggested client. Is
there a better client I should be using and even better some documentation
"for dummies" that would help me complete my project?

I am running PHP 7.0.22-0 on Ubuntu 16.04.1

Any help for a novice very much appreciated.
--
David Taylor

davidtaylor2@gmail.com

Home + 44(0)1325 350020

Mobile +44(0)7592 369714

<http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/david-taylor/53/91/147/>

Re: Integrating Opencart 3.0.2.0 with SOLR 7.1

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 1/2/2018 12:12 PM, David Taylor wrote:
> I am trying to integrate an OC website with SOLR 7.1. in standalone mode. I
> have managed to connect to and import from MySQL however, need help putting
> the front end together.
>
> I have tried to following these instructions
> http://blog.e-zest.com/integrate-apache-solr-with-opencart/ but do not seem
> to be able to connect PHP to the SOLR server using the suggested client. Is
> there a better client I should be using and even better some documentation
> "for dummies" that would help me complete my project?
>
> I am running PHP 7.0.22-0 on Ubuntu 16.04.1

All PHP client libraries for Solr are third-party software.  None of
them have been created by the project.  For help with them, you're going
to need to talk to the authors of those clients.  You may even need to
talk to the person who wrote the blog post you linked.

There is a list of PHP clients on the Solr wiki.  It is not frequently
updated, and is very likely not an exhaustive list of what's available:

https://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolPHP

If you're trying to create your own client, or use HTTP directly in your
code instead of leveraging an existing client, then we can discuss any
issues you run into with requests and responses, but writing the PHP
code to create the requests and parse the responses would be your job.
Using an existing client is probably preferable -- they've already
solved most of those issues.

It is interesting that the blog you referenced chose not to handle the
indexing themselves within OpenCart, but rather left that up to the
dataimport handler included with Solr, to import directly from the
database.  DIH is capable, but custom indexing code frequently produces
better results.

Thanks,
Shawn