Posted to user@tika.apache.org by Tim Allison <ta...@apache.org> on 2023/01/16 10:53:20 UTC

Recursively extract attachments with /unpack?

All,

   I received a private email asking if it is possible to recursively
extract attachments with /unpack.

   It isn't currently possible with /unpack or with the -z option in tika-app.

  As the writer acknowledged, users can get recursive text+metadata
with the /rmeta endpoint.  However, /unpack currently only works on
the attachments of the primary file -- it doesn't operate recursively
on those attachments.

  I opened: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-3703 to discuss
implementing the frictionless format for this kind of thing.  If we
went this route, I'd be slightly inclined to start a new endpoint
rather than adding parameters to the existing /unpack endpoint.

 What do you think?

          Best,

                 Tim