Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2011/06/06 15:53:03 UTC

slight reorg of uima-website in svn

I had to check out the uima-website to do some updating, and it took a very long
time, because SVN is storing old versions of javadocs etc. from previous releases.

It was done this way, previously, because that was how things were made
available to our website (e.g., when our documentation html page links to the
javadocs).  But we now have a better method for doing this, which bypasses the
need to put "generated" stuff into SVN, like this (see
http://uima.apache.org/release.html#Releasing ).

So I propose deleting from svn ( yes, I know you can't really delete from SVN,
but this would have the desired effect of hiding the stuff, so it wouldn't slow
checkouts) the older versions of javadocs not linked anymore from our website.

Any comments?

-Marshall

Re: slight reorg of uima-website in svn

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
On 6/6/11 3:53 PM, Marshall Schor wrote:
> I had to check out the uima-website to do some updating, and it took a very long
> time, because SVN is storing old versions of javadocs etc. from previous releases.
>
> It was done this way, previously, because that was how things were made
> available to our website (e.g., when our documentation html page links to the
> javadocs).  But we now have a better method for doing this, which bypasses the
> need to put "generated" stuff into SVN, like this (see
> http://uima.apache.org/release.html#Releasing ).
>
> So I propose deleting from svn ( yes, I know you can't really delete from SVN,
> but this would have the desired effect of hiding the stuff, so it wouldn't slow
> checkouts) the older versions of javadocs not linked anymore from our website.
>
> Any comments?

+1, in my opinion the website should always host the latest
version of the documentation. If a user needs to look at older
documentation he can simply look at the documentation shipped
in the distribution of that version.

That has also the side effect that people who google for help
with UIMA always end up in the latest documentation/javadoc.

Jörn

Re: slight reorg of uima-website in svn

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
+1