Posted to builds@apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/10 14:13:42 UTC

[hudson] Alphabet views

Hi,

We currently have almost 50 project views in Hudson, which makes the
main page and all those views horribly wide because of the space
required for all the view tabs. To avoid that problem I experimented a
bit with the nested view plugin [1] that allows grouping of views.

My idea is to split our current views into groups based on the first
letter of the project name. As an example, I created a "J" view for
Jackrabbit, James and JMeter. See
http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/view/J/.

The narrower page makes it possible to make the individual project
views much cleaner, see for example
http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/view/J/view/Jackrabbit/ for the
updated Jackrabbit view.

WDYT, should we do this also for the other letters of the alphabet?

[1] http://wiki.hudson-ci.org/display/HUDSON/Nested+View+Plugin

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [hudson] Alphabet views

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
On 11/02/10 12:30 AM, Justin Mason wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 13:24, Jukka Zitting<ju...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 2:21 PM, Justin Mason<jm...@jmason.org>  wrote:
>>> will this break permalinks to existing projects and builds?  e.g. from
>>> mails, jira, wikis etc.
>>
>> Yes. :-(
>
> ugh.  that'd be a dealbreaker for me.  I wonder if we could just kill
> off, or make multi-row, the page-widening tab bar somehow instead...

Can we persuade the Hudson people to render that row as a <ul> instead of a table? That is much better/standard html and gives us the ability to render it as tabs, a drop down menu or many other UI ideas with just a little bit of css.

Ari

--
-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis

Re: [hudson] Alphabet views

Posted by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org>.

Re: [hudson] Alphabet views

Posted by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org>.
ok, +1

--
--j.

Re: [hudson] Alphabet views

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@apache.org>.

Re: [hudson] Alphabet views

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: [hudson] Alphabet views

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 2:21 PM, Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> wrote:
> will this break permalinks to existing projects and builds?  e.g. from
> mails, jira, wikis etc.

Yes. :-(

BR,

Jukka Zitting