Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dave DeHaan <dd...@dordt.edu> on 2000/11/16 17:56:31 UTC

Problem porting servlets from JServ to Tomcat

I'm trying to port my servlets from JServ 1.1.2 to Tomcat 3.1.  Most of them have worked fine; however, I cannot get the Novell GroupWise WebAccess servlet to function properly.  It worked fine under JServ 1.1.2.  This was on the same machine with the same JDK 1.2.2 installation.  I have verified that all of the .jar files are in the classpath, and that the init arguments are properly entered into web.xml.

Here is the error message from tomcat.log:

Context log: path="" Error in webacc init(): null java.lang.NullPointerException	at java.util.Hashtable.put(Hashtable.java:377)	at com.novell.webaccess.common.I18NPropertyBundle.getI18NPropertyBundle(I18NPropertyBundle.java:221)	at com.novell.webaccess.common.I18NPropertyBundle.getI18NPropertyBundle(I18NPropertyBundle.java:39)	at com.novell.webaccess.common.I18NPropertyBundle.getI18NPropertyBundle(I18NPropertyBundle.java:30)	at com.novell.webaccess.WebAccessServlet.init(WebAccessServlet.java:110)	at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.initServlet(ServletWrapper.java:315)	at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWrapper.java:445)	at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:559)	at org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler.processConnection(HttpConnectionHandler.java:160)	at org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpConnectionThread.run(SimpleTcpEndpoint.java:338)	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:475)

Unfortunately, Novell will not support this platform.  However, they assert that their servlets should run on any servlet container meeting the following:
    - Compatible with Java Servlet Development Kit (JSDK) 2.0
     - Compatible with Java Development Kit (JDK) 1.1.6 or above

Does anyone have a clue as to why this servlet won't load?

Thanks.

David E. DeHaan
ddehaan@dordt.edu

Re: Problem porting servlets from JServ to Tomcat

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Dave DeHaan wrote:

>     - Compatible with Java Servlet Development Kit (JSDK) 2.0

This is likely to be the key to your problem.  Several major things from the Servlet 2.0 API were deprecated -- for example, the ServletContext.getServlet() method now returns null, and you can no longer use an HttpSessionContext at all -- so if this application requires those features of 2.0, it will not run under Tomcat.

> Does anyone have a clue as to why this servlet won't load?

Without source code, (in particular for the init() method of the com.novell.webaccess.WebAccessServlet class), there isn't much anyone can do to help you further.

> Thanks.
>
> David E. DeHaan
> ddehaan@dordt.edu

Craig McClanahan