Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Ivan Jovanovic <iv...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/14 12:29:45 UTC

Connection reset by broker with messages greater than 42KB

I have installed ActiveMQ 5.1 as broker and I'm using PHP Stomp client (not
one from codehouse but self made) to communicate with the broker. I have no
problems for messages that are with the size below 42KB, with messages that
are bigger than that broker resets the connection after 42KB written with
fwrite() to tcp socket while sending message

Is this connection reset normal behavior of the broker if its internal
settings are that 42KB is the message size it can accept?

I use persistent storage and I'm not sure that it should complain about the
message size at all? I tried to find a way to control the message size but
it seems that memory settings are important when not using persistent
storage, otherwise it should be no issue.

Thanks for your help in advance

Cheers
Ivan

Re: Connection reset by broker with messages greater than 42KB

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
Hi Ivan,

No, the broker does not impose any message size limits.  You might
want to run a tcp packet snooper on your traffic to make sure that the
STOMP protocol is actually being preserved.   You also might want to
enabled debug logging on the broker side so that you can see when the
broker killed the stomp connection.

Regards,
Hiram

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 6:29 AM, Ivan Jovanovic
<iv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have installed ActiveMQ 5.1 as broker and I'm using PHP Stomp client (not
> one from codehouse but self made) to communicate with the broker. I have no
> problems for messages that are with the size below 42KB, with messages that
> are bigger than that broker resets the connection after 42KB written with
> fwrite() to tcp socket while sending message
>
> Is this connection reset normal behavior of the broker if its internal
> settings are that 42KB is the message size it can accept?
>
> I use persistent storage and I'm not sure that it should complain about the
> message size at all? I tried to find a way to control the message size but
> it seems that memory settings are important when not using persistent
> storage, otherwise it should be no issue.
>
> Thanks for your help in advance
>
> Cheers
> Ivan

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Open Source SOA
http://open.iona.com

Re: Connection reset by broker with messages greater than 42KB

Posted by Ivan Jovanovic <iv...@gmail.com>.
I still can not solve this, the number of bytes that are sent before the
closing of connection is variable with the same message. The message is
totaly ok with its format.
It is string 'test' multiplied 10, 100, 1000 and 10000 thousand times like
"testtesttesttesttest...."
For 1,10,100 it works but for 10000 times "test" it throws the error that
tcp connection was reset and DEBUG from the broker says

DEBUG TransportConnection            - Setting up new connection:
/62.65.159.30:50087
DEBUG AbstractRegion                 - Adding destination:
topic://ActiveMQ.Advisory.Connection
DEBUG Transport                      - Transport failed:
java.io.EOFException
java.io.EOFException
        at java.io.DataInputStream.readFully(DataInputStream.java:180)
        at java.io.DataInputStream.readFully(DataInputStream.java:152)
        at
org.apache.activemq.transport.stomp.StompWireFormat.unmarshal(StompWireFormat.java:146)
        at
org.apache.activemq.transport.tcp.TcpTransport.readCommand(TcpTransport.java:203)
        at
org.apache.activemq.transport.tcp.TcpTransport.doRun(TcpTransport.java:195)
        at
org.apache.activemq.transport.tcp.TcpTransport.run(TcpTransport.java:183)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)