Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by vycon <we...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/27 22:37:45 UTC

Recommend for a group of users

Hi experts,

Instead of taking user id as an input, I am thinking whether mahout will
support demographic information as input, e.g., gender, age and occupation
like in movielens-100k dataset. In this case, I can recommend movie to a
group of similar people.

I think I need to implement my own user similarity, but the method in mahout
is taking two user id as input.

Any experts can give me a hint on this?

Thanks

Re: Recommend for a group of users

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
Yes, you can implement your own UserSimilarity metric using whatever
information you want. That could easily be based on factors like gender or
age. It's possible, but entirely up to you. Yes, it takes two user IDs as
input, since that is the question it answers: how similar are two users? Of
course, your implementation will also read from other sources of information
in order to return an answer.

It plugs into a GenericUserBasedRecommender then, and you recommend items to
users via user ID. That does not change.

Posted by "petar.mitrovic" <pe...@gmail.com>.
Hi vycon,

I am not an expert in Mahout, but seems like you could represent user
demographic data as vectors (age, gender, occupation, etc), weighting the
values eventually and returning the distance between these vectors from your
own implementation of UserSimilarity.

Regards,
Petar