Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Yura Smolsky <in...@altervision.biz> on 2004/12/09 11:54:41 UTC

InderWriter.optimize()

Hello, lucene-user.

I used FSDirectory as storage for index. And I have used optimize()
method of IndexWriter to optimize index for faster access.

Now I use DbDirectory (Berkley DB) as storage. Does it make sense to
use optimize method on index stored in this storage?..

What does optimize do actually?

Yura Smolsky

RE: InderWriter.optimize()

Posted by Aviran <am...@infosciences.com>.
Beside merging the segments, optimize also physically deletes all the
deleted documents from the index (When you call delete, lucene only marks
the documents as deleted, they physically deleted when you call optimize).

Aviran
http://www.aviransplace.com