Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Michele Locati <ml...@gmail.com> on 2023/11/22 11:21:43 UTC

Status of XSD 1.1 support

Hello everybody!

I read the issue XERCESJ-1736 [1] and, since we haven't had an answer,
I'm trying to write here.

The community around Eclipse LemMinX [2] (which involves the XML
plugin for VSCode by RedHat [3] and Eclipse Wild Web Developer [4]) is
wondering:

1. why we have 2 versions (the "base" one and the one with XSD 1.1 support)?

Is the latter less stable than the former?

1.1 If so:any plans to make make it stable?

1.2 If it's already production-ready, why we have 2 versions? Wouldn't
it enough to have a single version wich supports both 1.0 and 1.1
(provided that 1.0 is just a subset of 1.0), and use
"http://www.w3.org/XML/XMLSchema/v1.0" or
"http://www.w3.org/XML/XMLSchema/v1.1" when calling
javax.xml.validation.SchemaFactory.newInstance() ?

2. Why In Maven Central we only have the "base" xerces version (that
is, the one without XSD 1.1 support)? What about publishing an xsd-1.1
version (maybe using the same groupId/artifactId/version of the "base"
one, but with "classifier=xml-schema-1.1")?

Thank you,
Michele

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XERCESJ-1736
[2] https://github.com/eclipse/lemminx/pull/515
[3] https://github.com/redhat-developer/vscode-xml/issues/222
[4] https://github.com/eclipse-wildwebdeveloper/wildwebdeveloper/issues/1401

Re: Status of XSD 1.1 support

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@gmail.com>.
If you search the mailing list archives, you’ll find that historically the devs (including myself) weren’t involved in publishing artifacts to Maven. Others from the community have been doing that and guessing the main reason the XML Schema 1.1 distribution isn’t out there is that those users only cared about getting the base version out to Maven Central. We keep encouraging the community to contribute to the project and here’s another opportunity.