Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Schneider, Eric" <es...@tiaa-cref.org> on 2002/09/19 20:56:25 UTC

tomcat to iPlanet woes

Hi,

We've developed a J2EE web application on tomcat to be deployed on iPlanet.
We are quickly learning that iPlanet doesn't seem to be J2EE compliant,
compatible, <insert buzzword>, etc.

The classloader in iPlanet is really bizarre and I believe it's the root of
our problems.  Any references to classes in 3rd party packages (specifically
apache jars) in our WEB-INF directory throws a NoClassDefFoundError.  The
only way we've been able to get around this is to add the jar files
(commons-collections, commons-logging, commons-digester) to iPlanet's
jre/lib/ext folder.   I'd put all of my 3rd party jars in this directory,
but unfortunately, one of our frameworks dynamically instaniates objects at
runtime that aren't available to the system classloader.

I've read some really vague stuff about the way apache jars use their own
classloaders.   For whatever reason, this causes a security issue/error that
iPlanet masquerades as a NoClassDefinition exception.  There wasn't much
more information on the topic.

Hopefully someone has had some similar experiences and can shed some light?

Thanks,
Eric

This message, including any attachments, contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies.  You are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.
TIAA-CREF