Posted to user@roller.apache.org by sh...@contractor.thomson.com on 2007/08/31 00:15:04 UTC

Reg Usage of Roller Application in JSF

Hi,

We are  trying to develop a Dynamic Web Application with JSF. Also using
Roller as a blogging software application so that our application can
interface with it.

I have below questions :-

(i) Is there any roller API available for  creating a brand new User (in
roller database) from our Java/J2EE Application so that we can use our
own page layout in our app ?

(ii) From our  JSF application,Is there a way to retrieve the following
information  from the roller  through API: ?

*         the blog entries for each category

*         Popular tags used

*         Popular Blog entries

(iii) Is it possible to add the comments to the blog entry  from J2EE
application ?

(iv) Is it good/advisable  to use the Roller Application within the same
JSF framework application? Has any one tried success in that ? Both of
them will be compatable ?

Your reply is greatly appreciated. It will be of great help.

Thanks

Shyam Prasad

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
A couple more things...

The roller_4.1_dev branch is pretty unstable at the moment with all
the user management changes happening there. I'd recommend you stick
with the trunk for now, or use the Roller 4.0 branch once it is
created.

To retrieve the source you need a Subversion client. Once you've got
it installed you can get the source like so:

   svn checkout http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/roller/trunk

- Dave

RE: Reg Usage of Roller Application in JSF

Posted by Adib Saikali <ad...@programmingmastery.com>.
Roller uses velocity, I would not recommend that you use JSF to build a
roller UI, the admin UI is written in struts and it would be pointless to
change it. I would assume that struts admin UI should be able to co-exist
peacefully with JSF, so long as the JSF front controller servlet does not
interfere with the URL mapping for struts.

Running the front end in JSF is going to be quite hard.

If you 100% must do it then I would explore the problem by trying to get the
data out of velocity and feed it into JSF components. Which means that you
would need some sort of Lifecycle JSF lister to do the same sort of work
that the roller velocity servlet does.

I am not a roller developer but I don't think there is a way do it, that is
worth the effort.

Are you going to put roller in the same war file as your JSF application?

Adib