Posted to users@zeppelin.apache.org by Luis Angel Vicente Sanchez <ze...@bigcente.ch> on 2017/09/11 10:12:29 UTC

ZeppelinContext run method runs a paragraph as anonymous user

Hi,

We have enabled notebook permissions in our Zeppelin installation and
now we are facing the problem that if we want to run a paragraph from
another paragraph in the same notebook (to refresh it), the user that is
running that paragraph is the anonymous user and not the front-end user
and, therefore, we get a "ForbiddenException" because of that.

Is there a way to run a paragraph as the front-end user?

Kind regards,

Luis Angel Vicente Sanchez
zeppelin-users@bigcente.ch

Re: ZeppelinContext run method runs a paragraph as anonymous user

Posted by Deenar Toraskar <de...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jeff

Let us know if you need more details or if you can suggest any fixes
ourselves and we are happy to try them out.

Regards
Deenar

Posted by Luis Angel Vicente Sanchez <ze...@bigcente.ch>.
Hi Jeff,

Posted by Luis Angel Vicente Sanchez <ze...@bigcente.ch>.
These are my findings:

I think I have found why the credentials are lost, I I think I might be
able to create a patched version that will work for us.Execution flow:

 1. Spark job uses method run from ZeppelinContext.
 2. The method run gets all the InterpreterContextRunner for a given
    notebook and paragraph; in our case is the ParagraphRunner. The
    InterpreterContextRunner receives the notebookId and the paragraphId
    as parameters.
 3. The ParagraphRunner runs the paragraph by sending an event using the
    RemoteInterpreterEventClient.
 4. The RemoteInterpreterEventClient pushes a
    RUN_INTERPRETER_CONTEXT_RUNNER event, with the ParagraphRunner as a
    payload (serialised to JSON using gson)
 5. The RemoteInterpreterEventPoller receives the event, deserialise the
    InterpreterContextRunner and calls the onRemoteRunParagraph of a
    RemoteInterpreterProcessListener (in our case, this is the
    NotebookServer); this method only receives the notebookId and the
    paragraphId.
 6. The NotebookServer implementation of onRemoteRunParagraph uses
    SecurityUtils to retrieve the user credentials.So, the credentials are lost because the InterpreterContextRunner, the
info that it serialised to execute a paragraph, doesn’t contain the
credentials.
If we modify the InterpreterContextRunner to include the
AuthenticationInfo and modify the onRemoteRunParagraph to accept an
optional AuthenticationInfo... it might do the trick. But... is this the
right way to solve this problem?
If that's the case I'm happy to contribute with a PR to address
this issue.
--
  Luis Angel Vicente Sanchez
  zeppelin-users@bigcente.ch