Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com> on 2015/12/05 10:25:01 UTC

Ease setup for new comers wishing to contribute

Hello,
I open this thread to discuss what could be done to favor new comers
contributions and increase patches contributions.

After discussion with colleagues that came recently on project with a
"Standard project" background, the following ideas came:

   - Ease IDE Setup (see below for details)
   - Change http://jmeter.apache.org/svnindex.html to mention GITHUB mirror
   , the link would be renamed to Source Repositories
   - Add fork us on Github on project if acceptable by Apache policy
   - Create a Developers page similar to
   http://cloudstack.apache.org/developers.html, explaining how to
   contribute a PR
   - Find an alternative to Ant

Ease IDE Setup:
Regarding IDE Setup and particularly Eclipse:
1/ As we don't have Maven (mvn eclipse:eclipse) setting up Dev Environment
for new comers is not a nowadays "standard".
Maybe Graddle could be an alternative (Maven having been set aside in a
previous dev discussion), it allows providing Eclipse Project Model, is
used by big projects like Spring Frameworks and seems to be very flexible ,
using Groovy

2/ If we decide to stay on Ant, we should have an HTML page instead of
eclipse.readme which can easily be missed.
The page should be enhanced to mention requirements like Java 7 and
Compiler compliance level....
3/ Running JUnit tests should also be documented, particularly running them
directly from IDE

4/ If we stay with Ant, why not also distribute eclipse.project so that we
could create an ant task that:
a) renames eclipse.classpath to .classpath
b) renames eclipse.project to .project
c) Call  download_jars ,
This way project could be imported in Eclipse much more easily and less
manually

Regards
Philippe M.

Re: Ease setup for new comers wishing to contribute

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hello,
Documentation part done through commit r1729040.
Regards

On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at 3:38 PM, Philippe Mouawad <philippe.mouawad@gmail.com

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: Ease setup for new comers wishing to contribute

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> > 3/ Running JUnit tests should also be documented, particularly running
> them
> > directly from IDE
>
> +1
>
> Some of the tests don't work very well from the IDE and need
> additional settings.
> There is an abstract test class that tries to fix these issues but
> it's not fully integrated.
>
> > 4/ If we stay with Ant, why not also distribute eclipse.project so that
> we
> > could create an ant task that:
>
> The problem is that the Eclipse .project file varies between installations.
> If the developer adds Findbugs or Checkstyle etc that will affect the
> .project file.
> Likewise if they have several JDKs and JMeter is not using the default.
>
> However it would be possible to create a default one if it does not exist.

Ok did it this way

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: Ease setup for new comers wishing to contribute

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
<ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I open this thread to discuss what could be done to favor new comers
> contributions and increase patches contributions.
>
> After discussion with colleagues that came recently on project with a
> "Standard project" background, the following ideas came:
>
>    - Ease IDE Setup (see below for details)
>    - Change http://jmeter.apache.org/svnindex.html to mention GITHUB mirror
>    , the link would be renamed to Source Repositories

+1

>    - Add fork us on Github on project if acceptable by Apache policy

+0

>    - Create a Developers page similar to
>    http://cloudstack.apache.org/developers.html, explaining how to
>    contribute a PR

+1

>    - Find an alternative to Ant

-1

> Ease IDE Setup:
> Regarding IDE Setup and particularly Eclipse:
> 1/ As we don't have Maven (mvn eclipse:eclipse) setting up Dev Environment
> for new comers is not a nowadays "standard".
> Maybe Graddle could be an alternative (Maven having been set aside in a
> previous dev discussion), it allows providing Eclipse Project Model, is
> used by big projects like Spring Frameworks and seems to be very flexible ,
> using Groovy

Yes, it is flexible, but it is hard to get it right for such a large
code base as JMeter.

My experience of it is that it can be very hard to find out where
things are happening.
Precisely because of the flexibility.

> 2/ If we decide to stay on Ant, we should have an HTML page instead of
> eclipse.readme which can easily be missed.

+1

> The page should be enhanced to mention requirements like Java 7 and
> Compiler compliance level....

Of course.