Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Sam Huang <sa...@gmail.com> on 2005/04/25 03:47:43 UTC

How to tell the difference of the similar template engine crew?

Hello,
I found a lot of different kinds of template engines out there. They are StringTemplate from SabbleCC, FreeMarker, JByte, Jamon. They seems to serve the same goal with different forms of capabilities. I wonder how to tell the difference and use them properly in different situations. Thanks!

Regards,
Sam Hwang

Re: How to tell the difference of the similar template engine crew?

Posted by Shinobu Kawai <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andrew,

> I've had a look at the API for the VelocityViewServlet. I've just finished
> writing a set of Servlets that use the VelocityServlet. Is it advisable to
> re-do these based on the VelocityViewServlet now?

I like VVS because I don't have to subclass it or anything in order to
make it work.  It makes it so simple to use Velocity as the view layer
(like JSP).  But of course, that's only MY opinion.  ;)

> Also when the next version
> of Velocity comes out, will i have to then change these source files to use
> org.apache.velocity.servlet.VelocityVeiwServlet or will it keep its existing
> package name?
>
> Will there be any actual requirement to upgrade velocity, or any advantages to
> doing so? 1.4 is very very good IMHO and is by far the best templating
> solution i've seen.

If it's keeping you satisfied, I say let it stay.  These are some of
the features coming up on 1.5.
    http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/changes.html
If you think any one them is cool, there's your reason for considering
an upgrade.  The Velocity developers are also trying their best to
keep upgrades backward compatible.  (In the scope of 1.x, of course.)

Best regards,
-- Shinobu

--
Shinobu Kawai <sh...@gmail.com>

Re: How to tell the difference of the similar template engine crew?

Posted by Andrew Mason <an...@assertis.net>.
I've had a look at the API for the VelocityViewServlet. I've just finished
writing a set of Servlets that use the VelocityServlet. Is it advisable to
re-do these based on the VelocityViewServlet now? Also when the next version
of Velocity comes out, will i have to then change these source files to use
org.apache.velocity.servlet.VelocityVeiwServlet or will it keep its existing
package name?

Will there be any actual requirement to upgrade velocity, or any advantages to
doing so? 1.4 is very very good IMHO and is by far the best templating
solution i've seen.

Thanks in advance
Andrew

Re: How to tell the difference of the similar template engine crew?

Posted by Shinobu Kawai <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sam,

> I found a lot of different kinds of template engines out there. They are
> StringTemplate from SabbleCC, FreeMarker, JByte, Jamon. They seems to serve
> the same goal with different forms of capabilities. I wonder how to tell the
> difference and use them properly in different situations. Thanks!

You can check out the Comparisons section in the Velocity document for
stuff about Velocity and JSP/WebMacro/XMLC.
    http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/

My best advice is to check them all out yourself.  Each product should
have some kind of sample.  I think your opinion is more important to
you than anyone else's.  And nobody is going to stop you from writing
a report with a neat matrix on the wiki page.  ;)
    http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-velocity/FrontPage

Best regards,
-- Shinobu

--