Posted to repository@apache.org by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu> on 2004/12/20 17:35:45 UTC

Re: [java-repository] licenses update + unreleased components]

I'm moving this discussion to repository@apache.org. Phil and others, if
you could join this list, then we can have a more focused discussion
about how to approach this.

http://wiki.apache.org/ASFRepository

Phil Steitz wrote:

> I agree with all of your points above.  The issue is oversight.  I have
> nothing against public RCs, betas, milestones or nightlies -- on the
> contrary I like and use all of these things.  I just think that other
> than nightlies, these need to be endorsed in some way by the community
> if we are going to distribute them.  Right now we have some jars out
> there that, to my knowledge, were never voted on and / or have no
> community support. I think that these should be removed.

I think that we have always agreed that they need to be removed. Its
just been an issue of having the time to do it properly.

>> I would take issue with pushing nightlies or alphas to ibiblio.org.  We
>> do need to put some pressure on people to release.
>

> So, you are OK with milestone builds, but not nightlies?  Do we agree
> that the milestones should have some "status" before they get published
> and they should also be published with release notes, etc. to the main
> distribution site?
>
> Phil

Note, theres already been allot of discussion concerning these issues
across the repository@apache.org and mirros@apache.org lists.

The MOST important issue with nightlies etc has also to do with the
mirroring of www.apache.org/dist. Its important to be conservative
concerning bandwidth, mirrors and rsync. So theres external pressure
there not to be pumping auto build nightlies over rsync. Mainly because
theres no need or want to have these things on the mirrors.

So to clarify, yes we need to get all interim builds out of
java-repository. I don't think we need to work hard at this,

1.) just delete any interim builds (they are already archived on
archive.apache.org)

2.) delete and any snapshot symlinks referring to them.

3.) delete and sanpshot-version files referring to an interim build.

-Mark

--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer

Re: [java-repository] licenses update + unreleased components]

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
> 1.) just delete any interim builds (they are already archived on
> archive.apache.org)
>
> 2.) delete and any snapshot symlinks referring to them.
>
> 3.) delete and sanpshot-version files referring to an interim build.

+1 to these with some questions and additions:

4) document this as policy somewhere and make it known to all PMCs.

5) likewise document use of cvs.apache.org/repository for deploying
SNAPSHOTs to and any archival policy in place on this (is there one?)

Q's:

- is it ok to add a FAQ to Maven and/or elsewhere advising people how
to get old JARs they've lost (particularly in relation to building
Maven 1.0.x)? I would suggest wording it such that you manually
download them rather than adding it to maven.repo.remote or we'll have
people adding archive.apache.org to their global build properties by
mistake and hitting it all the time. Or is that not a concern if they
are generally only going to be receiving a 304 or 404 response?

Thanks,
Brett