Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Udlei Nattis <ma...@anankeit.com.br> on 2002/10/22 17:40:30 UTC

Prevision

when will be finished modperl2?

bye

nattis

Re: Prevision

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Udlei Nattis wrote:
> when will be finished modperl2?

The short answer:

Never.

The long answer:

mod_perl 1.0 hasn't been yet "finished". Even though it's a robust piece
of sw it's a work in progress. New features are added and bugs are
fixed. So it's an ongoing process.

It all depends on what features do you need and whether they have been
already implemented in mod_perl 2.0. If certain features are missing,
you should either submit patches that add them or gently bug the dev
list that you need a certain feature which hasn't been
ported/implemented yet, certainly after you've lurked on the list for a
while, and actively participate in its testing once it has been added.

Here are several known issues:

mod_perl 2.0 doesn't implement args() and content() functions as they
were in 1.0. It provides a perl ("slower") backcompat implementation
that is added to help people migrate their code to 2.0. Apache::Request
should provide this functionality when it's ready. The C apreq library
for Apache 2.0 has been developed and in the good shape. Due to many
reasons we want this C library to be included in the httpd core, but it
didn't happen so far. Certainly the Perl glue code
(Apache::Request/Cookie) won't be written before the fate of the C
library is known. I hope that this issue is going to be resolved asap.

Registry scripts should work just fine with ModPerl::Registry. The only
issue is with CWD, which is not thread-safe. There is a workaround
module in works, which I think hasn't been released by Arthur Bergman
yet. Once it's released registry scripts will work as is.

If you are using the threaded mpm, there are many other potential issues
with threads. I'll discuss them at my mod_perl 2.0 tutorial and
presentations at ApacheCon next week. Stop by if you are interested.

Other then that the majority of the 1.0 features has been implemented I
think. And certainly there are heaps of new features that are already
available. Come to my talks where I'll cover the most interesting ones.

See the modperl-2.0/todo/* and modperl-2.0/STATUS for the lists of
things that haven't been done yet and let us know if something is
missing from these lists.