Posted to marketing@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/04/01 02:59:24 UTC

Re: Website Work

On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 3:12 PM, Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dave,
>
> We can consider not using a single CSS or template for the entire site.
> Rather we would partition the website and apply CSS and templates according
> to their context or navigation depth.
>
> Maybe a single CSS for colours, fonts sizes, tables, etc.  eg. lets call
> this standard.css
> The secondary pages, like module info and volunteer list, would have a CSS
> for layout information. eg secondary.css
> Homepage and Download pages would have a different layout CSS but still
> inherent the font and colors from the first CSS. eg home.css and
> download.css
>
> We may also consider moving the API to openoffice.apache.org and giving it
> its own css / program an exemption for those.
> It looks like a lot of links are broken right now as well. That would be on
> the list as well for fixing.

I think success in this area will be greatly enhanced if we make it a
non-goal to encompass the entire openoffice.org website as it is
today. I'd highly recommend focusing on a core website, with good
up-to-date content, a good modern look, SEO optimized and with a
well-defined method for localization.  It can probably be done with 25
pages per language.

Of course,  we can also preserve, for historical or archival reasons,
everything else.  But l think we can take a data-driven approach to
identify the pages that users actually use most, and focus the core
website on that.

-Rob

Re: Website Work

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Samer Mansour wrote:
> Question: What does NL and SSI stand for.

NL: Native Language. Sites like http://www.openoffice.org/de/ and
http://www.openoffice.org/fr/

SSI: A server-side technology for including parts of pages.
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/howto/ssi.html

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Website Work

Posted by Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hello Dave,

I don't know how the website is organized yet, its going to take me some
time to learn how it works currently.

Question: What does NL and SSI stand for.

Do we currently maintain a site map diagram somewhere I can start from?
Otherwise I'll start documenting a plan on the cwiki and keep feed back
there.
I'll need to confirm with dev list for satisfying their requirements as
well, I did not know there needed to be the two versions of the API.

Rob, I would target a subset of the pages according to google analytics
traffic.

Samer

Re: Website Work

Posted by Milosh Vujnovic <mi...@techcolossus.com>.