Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2007/05/25 15:11:57 UTC

[1.4] menus.xmap in modules just boilerplate?

Hi Lenya devs,

now that we have added quite a lot of modules (45 according to
my last count), it doesn't seem like the flexibility provided by
menus.xmap is really necessary. I guess looking for

  {module}/config/menu.xsp (other location suggestions are welcome)

is sufficient. Or maybe we should at least allow to omit the
menus.xmap if the menu file exists in this location.
In this case I'd prefer convention to configuration.

WDYT?

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH

Re: [1.4] menus.xmap in modules just boilerplate?

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Michael Wechner schrieb:
> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>
>> Hi Lenya devs,
>>
>> now that we have added quite a lot of modules (45 according to
>> my last count), it doesn't seem like the flexibility provided by
>> menus.xmap is really necessary. I guess looking for
>>
>>  {module}/config/menu.xsp (other location suggestions are welcome)
>>
>> is sufficient. Or maybe we should at least allow to omit the
>> menus.xmap if the menu file exists in this location.
>> In this case I'd prefer convention to configuration.
>>
>> WDYT?
>>

> I am not sure I understand. As a useecase I would like to use the same
> module within different
> publications, but with different menus. How would that work without
> MY_PUB/menus.xmap?

The menu handling of the publication won't be affected, I was only
referring to {module}/menus.xmap. Sorry for the ambiguity.

-- Andreas

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

>Hi Lenya devs,
>
>now that we have added quite a lot of modules (45 according to
>my last count), it doesn't seem like the flexibility provided by
>menus.xmap is really necessary. I guess looking for
>
>  {module}/config/menu.xsp (other location suggestions are welcome)
>
>is sufficient. Or maybe we should at least allow to omit the
>menus.xmap if the menu file exists in this location.
>In this case I'd prefer convention to configuration.
>
>WDYT?

I am not sure I understand. As a useecase I would like to use the same
module within different
publications, but with different menus. How would that work without
MY_PUB/menus.xmap?

Thanks

Michael

--
Michael Wechner
+41 44 272 91 61

Re: [1.4] menus.xmap in modules just boilerplate?

Posted by Joern Nettingsmeier <ne...@folkwang-hochschule.de>.

Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Hi Lenya devs,
>
> now that we have added quite a lot of modules (45 according to
> my last count), it doesn't seem like the flexibility provided by
> menus.xmap is really necessary. I guess looking for
>
>   {module}/config/menu.xsp (other location suggestions are welcome)
>
> is sufficient. Or maybe we should at least allow to omit the
> menus.xmap if the menu file exists in this location.
> In this case I'd prefer convention to configuration.

+1

excellent idea.

(sorry i've not been very active this last week - been busy touring... i
hope i'll be able to catch up with the recent work over the weekend.
great to see the list this busy!)

regards,

jörn

--
jörn nettingsmeier

home://germany/45128 essen/lortzingstr. 11/
http://spunk.dnsalias.org
phone://+49/201/491621

Kurt is up in Heaven now.