Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> on 2018/02/02 22:01:59 UTC

Proposed roster/committer UX updates

The committer detail page shows a lot of data, but it's not always clear
what everything is (especially to new committers).  I hope to find time
to make some UX improvements - suggestions or objections?

- Add a link to id.a.o, which is where committers can update their email
addresses, PGP keys, homepage URL.  (Unless we have specific plans to
add that functionality here)

- Include tooltips (how?) or other help doc explaining terms: groups,
committees, SpamAssassin score, other?

- Add links to subscribe.cgi and moderationhelper.cgi in the obvious places.

Question: does the person.member_nomination section work?  When I look
at a committer who I put in the watch list, I don't see anything there.
What is it supposed to show, and to whom?

--

- Shane
  https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/resources

Re: Proposed roster/committer UX updates

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 5:01 PM, Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
> The committer detail page shows a lot of data, but it's not always clear
> what everything is (especially to new committers).  I hope to find time
> to make some UX improvements - suggestions or objections?
>
> - Add a link to id.a.o, which is where committers can update their email
> addresses, PGP keys, homepage URL.  (Unless we have specific plans to
> add that functionality here)

... only if the user is viewing their own page (__self__), right?

It wouldn't be difficult to add that functionality to the roster tool
(a few examples are already in place), but no, I am not aware of any
specific plans, so adding a link would be in order.

> - Include tooltips (how?) or other help doc explaining terms: groups,
> committees, SpamAssassin score, other?

tooltips can be done by using HTML title attributes.  bootstrap has
support for styling tooltips using additional attributes.

> - Add links to subscribe.cgi and moderationhelper.cgi in the obvious places.
>
> Question: does the person.member_nomination section work?  When I look
> at a committer who I put in the watch list, I don't see anything there.
> What is it supposed to show, and to whom?

parsing logic is in lib/whimsy/asf/nominees.rb.  It parses the last
meeting, and this data is not show for people who are currently
members.  And will only be shown to people who are members.  See
www/roster/models/committer.rb.

> --
>
> - Shane
>   https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/resources