Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com> on 2016/03/10 16:46:46 UTC

ODBC drivers for Hive 2

Hi,

The best ODBC drivers that I found to work with Hive 2 is Progress Data
Direct driver for Hive (ODBC 3 compliant)..

I tried Cloudera one very shaky (although I tried that on Hive 1.2.1).
Tried Microsoft ones but it hangs. Just to be clear I am using 64-bit
drivers.

This is not direct data fetch from Hive tables. I have used Power Designer
to create a Physical Mo from Hive schema/database using ODBC3 connection
(Power designer does not have Hive in list of its databases so ODB3  is the
choice).

I then intend to create a logical model from this physical model.

Anyone has better suggestions(s) for Hive ODBC drivers

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com

Re: ODBC drivers for Hive 2

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.
I guess these vendor drivers are variants of generic ODBC 3 drivers. Some
of them like Progress direct do bespoke drivers. They used to be called
Merant drivers that made drivers for Oracle, Sybase and so forth and now
rebadged as Progress DataDirect ODBC drivers.

The issue is that I don't intend to fetch data from Hive. I am interested
in Hive metadata that actually is a schema stored in Oracle database in my
case. Also the physical model in Hive does not show table indexes or
constraints. Certainly These exist in Hive schema like below

[image: Inline images 2]

But not shown in Power Designer Physical model.

Does anyone know of a tool that shows full Hive schema with storage types
the table is built on etc?

Thanks

Re: ODBC drivers for Hive 2

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.
The problem with Tableau is that it tries to optimize the code itself which
really does not work for something that uses generic ODBC 3. We used to
have it with Tableau connecting to Oracle TimesTen IMDB (that did not have
its dedicated ODBC driver in Tableau so had to use ODBC 2, even an older
version). I am sure until Tableau knows how to optimize the query for Hive,
it would not really work. Optimizing joins in Hive etc at the moment I am
not sure.

I checked Tableau connectivity but they seem to suggest drivers from
Hortonworks and Cloudera and also their propriety Hadoop tools.

Cheers,

Re: ODBC drivers for Hive 2

Posted by Gopal Vijayaraghavan <go...@apache.org>.

Re: ODBC drivers for Hive 2