Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/01 10:32:16 UTC

Re: PEAR packaging and maven

Hello Greg,

2011/5/31 Greg Holmberg <ho...@comcast.net>

> On Fri, 27 May 2011 02:15:37 -0700, Thilo Götz <tw...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> It is also worth pointing out that if you control the code, you
>> can write/package your annotators so they just run out of a jar
>> file.  The resource loading mechanism of UIMA can load resources
>> from the classpath, i.e., from a jar file.  I always package my
>> annotators that way.  Then even if you package them in a pear
>> (which you don't have to), the pear install doesn't have to do
>> any of the error prone file rewriting magic.
>>
>> It has been put forward that if you have resources like dictionaries
>> as separate files on disk, they are easier to maintain.  That's
>> an argument I only buy for a very limited set of circumstances
>> (e.g., you have a web app and you let users edit the dictionary
>> on the fly or something).  Generally, if we're talking about a
>> real deployment, you don't want to do that anyway.  It's just as
>> easy to replace a jar.
>>

> Thanks, Thilo.  That's a great idea.  I'll try it.
>
> Does anyone here know the status of using OSGi to load annotators?

I am working on that and I managed to use the UIMA Sandbox Annotators in a
OSGi env with the bundles created with addons-osgi-runtime [1] which depend
on uimaj-ep-runtime [2] (used to load Eclipse plugins).

> I seem to remember something on alphaworks.ibm.com a few years ago, but
> haven't heard anything since.
>
> Dynamic Module Enabler for UIMA:
> http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/dmeuima/download
>
> Is there any effort or interest in bringing this DME thing into the UIMA
> sandbox?

didn't know about that! Anyone?

> My company is to moving to using OSGi extensively.  We are adopting the
> Virgo platform from Eclipse.
>
> http://www.eclipse.org/projects/project_summary.php?projectid=rt.virgo
>
> We might be willing to contribute to a project to "OSGi'ify" UIMA.  I'll
> have to check with my boss.

we talked about that months ago [3]; the problems are not in a simple usage
of UIMA in a OSGi environment but more about complex architectures (think of
UIMA-AS), resources management (OSGi classloading is non trivial), etc.

> I'm told that OSGi has features that can be used to deliver resource files
> along with the Java class files.  Simplifying the installation process in
> comparison to PEAR files would be my main goal with OSGI'ifying annotators
> and analysis engines.  To make it as easy as possible to consume annotators
> and deploy them on-demand into a multi-tenant UIMA cluster.  I would want to
> distribute the artifacts using maven.
>
> Is anyone else interested in such a thing using OSGi?

I'd be interested as I am already using it in Clerezza which is OSGi based
(runs on Apache Felix) but I think we should discuss in deep
architecture/implementations implications.
There is also a wiki page [4] that is quite old but we could start improving
to collect needs, requirements, pros/cons, etc..
Regards,
Tommaso

[1] :
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/sandbox/trunk/addons-osgi-runtime/
[2] : http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/uimaj/trunk/uimaj-ep-runtime/
[3] : http://markmail.org/message/3nmv5ct35i2hvn2f
[4] : https://cwiki.apache.org/UIMA/uima-osgi-enablement.html

Re: OSGi enablement

Posted by Greg Holmberg <ho...@comcast.net>.
On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 01:32:16 -0700, Tommaso Teofili
<to...@gmail.com> wrote
>> I seem to remember something on alphaworks.ibm.com a few years ago, but
>> haven't heard anything since.
>>
>> Dynamic Module Enabler for UIMA:
>> http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/dmeuima/download
>>
>> Is there any effort or interest in bringing this DME thing into the UIMA
>> sandbox?
>>

> didn't know about that! Anyone?

I found this page about DME:
https://cwiki.apache.org/UIMA/uima-osgi-enablement.html

People who edited the page are Yurdaer Doganata and Mirko Jahn.  I'm
guessing they're from IBM.

Does anyone know them?  Do you think they'd be willing to donate the code
to Apache?

Greg